• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home owners insurance totaling car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmes109

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I would like to know if my landlords home owners insurance is deeming my car a total loss because a tree fell on it during a storm and they do not think it is worth fixing, and I'm still making payments on it can I keep the car after they pay their portion and the gap insurance pays the rest?? My car insurance is not paying anything because I only had liability and not full coverage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I would like to know if my landlords home owners insurance is deeming my car a total loss because a tree fell on it during a storm and they do not think it is worth fixing, and I'm still making payments on it can I keep the car after they pay their portion and the gap insurance pays the rest?? My car insurance is not paying anything because I only had liability and not full coverage.
Ask the insurance company if you can buy the car back.
As a side note - you're supposed to maintain FULL coverage on the car. It's quite possible that the finance company is going to charge you back for the period of time that the car was not appropriately covered, and it's also possible that GAP will refuse to pay, since you didn't maintain the proper contractual coverage.

adjusterjack

my landlords home owners insurance is deeming my car a total loss because a tree fell on it during a storm
I'm curious as to why the HO insurance is paying for your car. A tree falling in a storm generally doesn't involve negligence on the part of the property and HO insurance doesn't pay without negligence.

can I keep the car after they pay their portion
That's up to the insurance company but if they allow you to keep it they will deduct the salvage value from the fair market value and you'll end up with a salvage title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">