• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home school or online school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthomas42

What is the name of your state? Indiana

NCP and I disagree whether or not to homeschool. The cases in the area are going up however, the is a plan in place for the social distancing of 6 feet apart, masks required to be worn and sanitizing stations.

Has anyone else had this discussion?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My kids are grown. But they would not be going in-person if they were still in school.

dthomas42

Thank everyone for your replies. I never said I was the one who wanted in-person schooling. I am just looking for facts pro and con.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

NCP and I disagree whether or not to homeschool. The cases in the area are going up however, the is a plan in place for the social distancing of 6 feet apart, masks required to be worn and sanitizing stations.

Has anyone else had this discussion?
I think that every home in Indiana with children in it has had that discussion. I know that we have had it in my house. I personally think its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I know that the children in my home really need the in person instruction, but I am one of those vulnerable adults that could easily die if they bring the coronavirus home to me. The discussion however is now moot for my household, as the district has already maxed out the number of online students that they can accept.

dthomas42

I think that every home in Indiana with children in it has had that discussion. I know that we have had it in my house. I personally think its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I know that the children in my home really need the in person instruction, but I am one of those vulnerable adults that could easily die if they bring the coronavirus home to me. The discussion however is now moot for my household, as the district has already maxed out the number of online students that they can accept.
Thank you for replying. I didn't know they had a limitation for on-line learning. My wife is a medical professional and that being said we have been exposed in one way or the other since before 'protection' against the virus was a thing. In the district the child will be schooled in, online learning is an option as only 7% have opted to do it.

LdiJ

Thank you for replying. I didn't know they had a limitation for on-line learning. My wife is a medical professional and that being said we have been exposed in one way or the other since before 'protection' against the virus was a thing. In the district the child will be schooled in, online learning is an option as only 7% have opted to do it.
I really cannot advise you. Its too personal of a choice. In an ideal world I would keep my whole family as isolated as possible until there is a vaccine, but this is not an ideal world. My granddaughter will fail without in person instruction because she is dyslexic and needs that. My grandson has asthma and therefore it's scary to have him in school but he also needs the in person instruction. I could very well die if they bring the coronavirus home to me. It's a no win situation.

dthomas42

I really cannot advise you. Its too personal of a choice. In an ideal world I would keep my whole family as isolated as possible until there is a vaccine, but this is not an ideal world. My granddaughter will fail without in person instruction because she is dyslexic and needs that. My grandson has asthma and therefore it's scary to have him in school but he also needs the in person instruction. I could very well die if they bring the coronavirus home to me. It's a no win situation.
I thank you for your response. You are correct, it is a no-win situation. I appreciate your point of view.

LdiJ

Marion County, Westside near Speedway
I am in Warren Township/eastside. I think that we are maybe a little better off than you are. The bordering counties on our side have very low cases, but the bordering counties on your side are higher. If you google "Marion County Indiana Coronavirus Cases" you get a site that lets you look at the stats for both cases and deaths. We are significantly trending down for deaths, but seriously trending up for cases. In fact, we recently had a spike that was higher than the original highest spike.

I was actually in the hospital for 2 days in late March for assumed coronavirus but I came back negative and recovered so quickly that it wasn't that. I have COPD (quit smoking 5 years ago after a bout with serious flu, ventilater, the whole bit).

We are just going to have to see what happens.

dthomas42

I am in Warren Township/eastside. I think that we are maybe a little better off than you are. The bordering counties on our side have very low cases, but the bordering counties on your side are higher. If you google "Marion County Indiana Coronavirus Cases" you get a site that lets you look at the stats for both cases and deaths. We are significantly trending down for deaths, but seriously trending up for cases. In fact, we recently had a spike that was higher than the original highest spike.

I was actually in the hospital for 2 days in late March for assumed coronavirus but I came back negative and recovered so quickly that it wasn't that. I have COPD (quit smoking 5 years ago after a bout with serious flu, ventilater, the whole bit).

We are just going to have to see what happens.
Aw, my goodness. I'm sorry to hear that. Yep, AVON/Brownsburg area got hit really hard with the virus. We have been looking at the cases and all of the information since this all began. My wife works at Avon, Methodist and IU hospital. She was mostly on the coronavirus floors since this has begun. My wife keeps telling me that cases are going to be inevitable since people are lackadaisical about masks and distancing, but it's the hospitalizations that will be concerning if they increase and the type of hospitalizations. They will typically monitor a coronavirus case with preexisting conditions for 24 then send them home if symptoms don't worsen.

ajkroy

As a teacher, I can tell you that a socially-distanced classroom will be nothing like in-person school before the pandemic. All of the actions that made me a good teacher will not be able to be utilized. I cannot sit next to a student to explain anything. I cannot hold learning groups. No more one-on-one discussions at my desk. I am expected to stand behind a wall of plexiglass and lecture with a mask on...which will be no more effective than online learning. The difference is that with online learning, there is no chance of dying.

That said, I will not be returning to the classroom this year. I am lucky enough to have accumulated nearly a years' worth of sick time. I know many other teachers who will not be returning, either. So even schools who think they have a hybrid plan set...really have no idea how many teachers will come back to teach this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">