• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeless and completing an I-9

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

What is the name of your state?AR

I'm stumped on this one. I have a client that is hiring a homeless person. They've asked me what he should put on the address line of the I9. I've never had this situation in 20 years of HR and can't find anything mentioning it on the I9 site or handbook.

The EE has written homeless on the I9. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have him come and fix it.

PayrollHRGuy

I saw that but it still mentions a "residence". I was taking that more like someone whose house doesn't have an address. Like someone out in the country pre-911 address requirements.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I saw that but it still mentions a "residence". I was taking that more like someone whose house doesn't have an address. Like someone out in the country pre-911 address requirements.
One of the definitions of "residence" is a place where one lives. I understand where you're coming from, but I believe that such a description of where one "lives" would meet the requirements of the form.

Dandy Don

Ask the person if they get GENERAL DELIVERY mail at the post office, or does he or she live at the local Salvation Army or homeless shelter, or do they have the name of a friend or relative who the person trusts to receive their mail or who could vouch for the fact that the person lived in the local area.

LdiJ

Ask the person if they get GENERAL DELIVERY mail at the post office, or does he or she live at the local Salvation Army or homeless shelter, or do they have the name of a friend or relative who the person trusts to receive their mail or who could vouch for the fact that the person lived in the local area.
Many of the shelters will either provide a mailing address that the person can use or can direct someone to an organization that provides mailing addresses.

PayrollHRGuy

Many of the shelters will either provide a mailing address that the person can use or can direct someone to an organization that provides mailing addresses.
They asked both questions.

What is the name of your state?AR

I'm stumped on this one. I have a client that is hiring a homeless person. They've asked me what he should put on the address line of the I9. I've never had this situation in 20 years of HR and can't find anything mentioning it on the I9 site or handbook.

The EE has written homeless on the I9. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have him come and fix it.
Thank your client from me for giving a homeless person a chance for a better future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">