• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeless father back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think that us advising the OP to violate the court order is proper either. The OP needs to speak to an attorney about this matter, and we shouldn't be advising her to violate the court order.
But Z. She is mom and we all know LD will side with moms regardless of the situation.

But no, OP should not violate the court order. The children are old enough to remember their father so he should not be a stranger to them. If he has a cell phone then you do have contact information for him.

Reactions: t74

We live in DC and the entire divorce, child support, child custody has been the same DC case. He is only going to be here that that particular weekend and presumably return back to his homeless living in NY. I take issue with him expecting that he can just get the kids this weekend on such short notice like we don't have plans or have went on with life for the past 2 1/2 years without him being present in any matter. I have no issue with scheduling a visitation this weekend, but not a sleep over especially when he no longer has a address in this area and will not provide me with the location.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We live in DC and the entire divorce, child support, child custody has been the same DC case. He is only going to be here that that particular weekend and presumably return back to his homeless living in NY. I take issue with him expecting that he can just get the kids this weekend on such short notice like we don't have plans or have went on with life for the past 2 1/2 years without him being present in any matter. I have no issue with scheduling a visitation this weekend, but not a sleep over especially when he no longer has a address in this area and will not provide me with the location.
Here is the thing, there is a court order. He doesn't have to schedule a visit. he has court ordered time. Before he picks up the children, get the hotel where he is staying. Getting a location matters. Him scheduling with you is not necessary. You had 2-1/2 years to do something about the visitation. If you want to file for a modification do so. But this is not an emergency.

LdiJ

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think that us advising the OP to violate the court order is proper either. The OP needs to speak to an attorney about this matter, and we shouldn't be advising her to violate the court order.
I have no problem with advising her to speak to an attorney. However, she needs to do that right away. However, I would NOT allow dad to take the children, under the circumstances, if I were mom. Of course, if I were dad, I also wouldn't dream of insisting on picking up the children from school and keeping them for a weekend, after 2 1/2 years either. However I am not bipolar.

Dad has been diagnosed as bipolar. If dad is in either a manic or depressive phase, and unmedicated, he might be both a danger to himself AND the children.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have no problem with advising her to speak to an attorney. However, she needs to do that right away. However, I would NOT allow dad to take the children, under the circumstances, if I were mom. Of course, if I were dad, I also wouldn't dream of insisting on picking up the children from school and keeping them for a weekend, after 2 1/2 years either. However I am not bipolar.

Dad has been diagnosed as bipolar. If dad is in either a manic or depressive phase, and unmedicated, he might be both a danger to himself AND the children.
Lot of assumptions here. You have no clue about bipolar. NONE. Do you? You also are telling mom to violate the court order. Which could very well put her in hot water.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The problem is:
!) You have a court order,
2) You did not change the court order to reflect the status quo, and
3) You have not indicated that there is any evidence that Dad is a danger to the children.

You have stated that Dad is bi-polar, but you have not indicated that he has violent spells, or that he has ever endangered the children. Therefore, you cannot say that you are withholding parenting time "for the safety of the children".

Additionally, at their age, the children know who Dad is. They don't need a "reintroduction" time. Do give them a phone to contact you (in an emergency), and do insist on knowing roughly where they will be staying.

If the kids have activities that are scheduled to occur in the time that Dad wishes to exercise parenting time, you could suggest that he take them. While he doesn't have to, it might help for them to feel like it's a "normal" weekend, and help him as well. (Costs him nothing and gives him a mini-break. Gets to see them interact with their friends, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">