• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeless Person Ringing Doorbell At 3am every night.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jareese97

A homeless person (in Los Angeles, California) knocks on my door at 3am (and every 3 hours after) in the morning waking my household up. The police cant do much but tell them to stop, neither can managment. They wont let me deactivate my doorbell either. What can I do?

Last edited:

Just Blue

A homeless person knocks on my door at 3am (and every 3 hours after) in the morning waking my household up. The police cant do much but tell them to stop, neither can managment. They wont let me deactivate my doorbell either. What can I do?
What state?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In many states your options are to do whatever is required under state law to notify the person that if he comes on the property again he is trespassing so as to allow the police to arrest him for criminal trespass or go to court and get an injunction or restraining order against him preventing him from entering on the property or knocking on your door and then if he violates the restraining order the police can arrest him for that. You may wish to consult a local attorney for advise and assistance.

adjusterjack

They wont let me deactivate my doorbell either
Who is "they"? And where do "they" get off telling you that you can't deactivate your doorbell? Of course you can deactivate your doorbell. Probably won't help though, since knocking on the door loudly would probably be the alternative.

Who is this "homeless" person? Do you know him? Is he related to you? Why is he picking on you? Seems to be more to this story than you are telling.

Jareese97

A homeless person knocks on my door at 3am (and every 3 hours after) in the morning waking my household up. The police cant do much but tell them to stop, neither can managment. They wont let me deactivate my doorbell either. What can I do?
Who is "they"? And where do "they" get off telling you that you can't deactivate your doorbell? Of course you can deactivate your doorbell. Probably won't help though, since knocking on the door loudly would probably be the alternative.

Who is this "homeless" person? Do you know him? Is he related to you? Why is he picking on you? Seems to be more to this story than you are telling.
They is managment. I do not know this homeless person at all. Shes convinced my place is her friends place (who lives downstairs.) She goes around and knocks and all my peers doors who are my age. We all know each other and they all know her (and dislike her). I honestly have never met her until she knocked at my door.

Just Blue

They is managment. I do not know this homeless person at all. Shes convinced my place is her friends place (who lives downstairs.) She goes around and knocks and all my peers doors who are my age. We all know each other and they all know her (and dislike her). I honestly have never met her until she knocked at my door.
Set up a motion activated security camera...after 2 or 3 recordings of her ringing your bell in the middle of the night go and file for a RO.

xylene

It would be perfect simply to discretely install a kill switch on your doorbell to allow you to deactivate it at times you are not receiving callers.

LdiJ

It would be perfect simply to discretely install a kill switch on your doorbell to allow you to deactivate it at times you are not receiving callers.
I don't know if that would be possible in an apartment complex.

CdwJava

Well, the police CAN do something, but it would require YOU to identify the perpetrator and request a private person's arrest (aka "citizen's arrest") for disturbing the peace. Even then, the suspect would most likely only receive a citation to appear in court (which he would likely ignore) and be sent on his way.

Have you figured out WHY this person is ringing your doorbell every day at 3 AM?

eerelations

Well, the police CAN do something, but it would require YOU to identify the perpetrator and request a private person's arrest (aka "citizen's arrest") for disturbing the peace. Even then, the suspect would most likely only receive a citation to appear in court (which he would likely ignore) and be sent on his way.

Have you figured out WHY this person is ringing your doorbell every day at 3 AM?
OP said that Homeless Person has a friend who lives downstairs from OP and continuously mistakes OP's door for friend's door.

My question for OP is this: have you talked to Homeless Person's friend about this issue?

ShyCat

Simple solution:

Step 1: Gather one Post It pad plus one Sharpie pen.
Step 2: Write "Your friend <name> lives downstairs."
Step 3: Place note over the door bell at bedtime, remove next morning.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Simple solution:

Step 1: Gather one Post It pad plus one Sharpie pen.
Step 2: Write "Your friend <name> lives downstairs."
Step 3: Place note over the door bell at bedtime, remove next morning.
That might work if the homeless person can read. We tend to assume that everyone in this country can read, but unfortunately not everyone can. I've met a number of people over the years who, unfortunately, never learned that skill. The homeless population tends to include some people who are illiterate. It's a factor than can contribute to being homeless.

quincy

That might work if the homeless person can read. We tend to assume that everyone in this country can read, but unfortunately not everyone can. I've met a number of people over the years who, unfortunately, never learned that skill. The homeless population tends to include some people who are illiterate. It's a factor than can contribute to being homeless.
Then post a picture of an arrow pointing to the correct downstairs apartment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">