• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeless?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kweet

New york

I just found out i am suppose to be evicted tomorrow. I knew the eviction case had started but my landlord to me not to go to court, to not worry about it. I didnt receive anything in the mail about it after so i have reason to believe my landlord was taking the mail. Is there anything i can do?

Just Blue

New york

I just found out i am suppose to be evicted tomorrow. I knew the eviction case had started but my landlord to me not to go to court, to not worry about it. I didnt receive anything in the mail about it after so i have reason to believe my landlord was taking the mail. Is there anything i can do?
Why would you listen to your LL when s/he is trying to get you out of the apt/house?

Kweet

We had what i thought was a good relationship. I was told not to worry about it in the context that the issue had been resolved and the eviction would not go through.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We had what i thought was a good relationship. I was told not to worry about it in the context that the issue had been resolved and the eviction would not go through.
And that issue would be?

And how did you find out that you are "supposed to be evicted"?

FarmerJ

If you had the actual summons that told you to show up for court then you chose to listen to the LL , doing so would have been a slam dunk for the LL to be in court and to be granted a default win and in court if you told a judge that you didn't show because the LL told you that you didn't have to worry about it and didn't have to go you will be the one with egg on your face. I suggest you take your fanny down to the courthouse and look up your name so you can read the courts order. If you need help with that ask one of the clerks of the court to direct you to where you can look up your name in civil court records.

Kweet

Update

The lock out date was the 10th of this month, however it want performed until today. I went to social services and they said This null and voids the eviction.

Does this sound right?

FarmerJ

Since you live in NY state , NY has a lot of tenant rights support groups that should be able to give you better advice than social services. If deputies came today to make you get out, they were following a court order. Talk to a tenants rights group or a real estate lawyer. I suspect there is nothing more you can do but live with the fact that you failed to go to court and landlord won because of it.

Just Blue

Update

The lock out date was the 10th of this month, however it want performed until today. I went to social services and they said This null and voids the eviction.

Does this sound right?
What is the reason for the eviction? You never answered that question and there was a good reason for me asking.

Dandy Don

When you say the landlord didn't like the way you kept the house/yard, please clarify. Did he think you were too messy or accumulated too many items? What was his specific complaint?

Do your own research online about "New York Landlord Tenant Law", plus contact the reference department of a local library and ask if they have information about landlord/tenant law, but the best thing you can do is talk to a local landlord/tenant attorney. It appears that you were not properly served (or that service was interfered with) and that is the legal loophole that will work to your advantage where you may be able to live there for a few additional days (maybe 1-4 weeks) that would give you more time to plan where the next place is you will be living.

FarmerJ

when a landlord wants to evict a tenant for some reason other than non payment and the tenant shows up for court the burden to prove the tenant is violating the lease / damaged the property is totally on the landlord SO even if your rent was not behind your not going gave the LL a complete default win where as if you had gone to court you could have disputed the LLs claims and the LL would have had to satisfy a judge .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">