• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner Insurance cancelation and refund due.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ebow

I hope to be brief and to the point, although this may well be a 2-3 question post. My homeowner's changed this year...my coverage remained the same, BUT my "Named Storm" Hurricane cover would be 5% deductible rather than 2% as before. A letter explaining my options was received 3 months before renewal time. Options where..buy a "Deductible Buy Out".....do nothing and risk a 5% deductible for damage of a "Named Hurricane". I opted for the risk of 5% should I have damage from a named hurricane/storm.

Without my authorization, my agent renewed my homeowner's and INCLUDED the deductible buy back. The only way I found out was when by mortgage company sent me a escrow account statement that showed an insurance payment $133 more than the annual premium should have been.

I called/questioned/argued and ended up cancelling the policy and asked for a refund. I did get a refund check, but it was $123 less than what it should have been. When question.I was told the the Hurricane deductible but back was non-refundable. I did not want this policy.I did not authorize my escrow account to pay for it...and now the insult of having something you did not want nor authorize be "nonrefundable.

Sorry for the long post...but on to my question. IF I cash the check sent as a refund...am I saying "I accept this as final" and give up any chance of pursuing the remainder? And finally..any advice on how to pursue?

Thanks
Ed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">