• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's Association Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mricard

What is the name of your state? Michigan

First a little history...
I am the treasurer of our homeowners association. Our neigborhood is not a deeded community, membership dues are collected on strictly a voluntary basis. Our subdivision has a boat launch, a beach and one private road that a minority of the subdivision property owners abut. The association listed with the State of Michigan and was formed to maintain the beach and boat launch. The association has never involved itself with the maintenance of the private road, the road's residents have historically handled the road maintenance themselves.

Now my question/concern...
A resident has recently voiced a concern regarding liabilty insurance. We have never carried such insurance. Is this appropriate?

B

brake pedal

liabilty insurance

I used to work with a HOA. I suggest you have liability insurance on any property the association owns or maintains.

HomeGuru

mricard said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

First a little history...
I am the treasurer of our homeowners association. Our neigborhood is not a deeded community, membership dues are collected on strictly a voluntary basis. Our subdivision has a boat launch, a beach and one private road that a minority of the subdivision property owners abut. The association listed with the State of Michigan and was formed to maintain the beach and boat launch. The association has never involved itself with the maintenance of the private road, the road's residents have historically handled the road maintenance themselves.

Now my question/concern...
A resident has recently voiced a concern regarding liabilty insurance. We have never carried such insurance. Is this appropriate?
**A: no. In light of the type of common areas that the HOA has, it would be most prudent to carry proper liability insurance. The exposure to the homeowners is far too great to not have this insurance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Absolutely incredible . . .

Let's see, you're an officer of an HOA, and you know that there are liabilities involved with owned or maintained common areas.

Yet, you needed someone else to tell you the obvious.

Incredible.

Shall we cut your meat on your plate?

IAAL

M

mricard

Let's see, you're an officer of an HOA, and you know that there are liabilities involved with owned or maintained common areas.

Incredible.

The owned/common areas were deeded to subdivision property owners in the 1920's with no mechanism to work together. And yes, I am an officer of an HOA, a simple treasurer who collects money to have grass mowed and replace a trash can once in awhile. Its a fairly thankless job. In fact, mostly I receive complaints and abuse. Occasionally I try to better the association in some way, like in this case. And then comes a pompus ass like yourself. Thanks, and get a life.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mricard said:

Incredible.

The owned/common areas were deeded to subdivision property owners in the 1920's with no mechanism to work together. And yes, I am an officer of an HOA, a simple treasurer who collects money to have grass mowed and replace a trash can once in awhile. Its a fairly thankless job. In fact, mostly I receive complaints and abuse. Occasionally I try to better the association in some way, like in this case. And then comes a pompus ass like yourself. Thanks, and get a life.

My response:

Pompus?

If you don't know how to spell a word, don't use it.

You're just an idiot. Admit it. "Oh! Will someone please take me by the hand?"

I'm guessing that scheduling lawn mowings is very taxing for your brain, and the most your education will allow. I've probably guessed correctly.

If you couldn't figure out that you needed insurance, then you would probably do the HOA a favor and QUIT! Only God knows what else you've messed up on in your position. Remember, it's what you DON'T know, and don't know about HOA's that can get you into trouble.

Give the job to someone with the mental capacity to do the job, and to be proactive - - and not a Dufus like yourself.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">