• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners association suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kareese

I'm in Nashville, TN; homeowner with an association. Quaterley fee at purchase which was increased and changed to a single payment. Without any delinquent letters sent, I received in the mail a notification for lein from a lawyer. I spoke directly to the Assos president and to the BOD president and to the said lawyer and voiced my concern that a reminder letter should have been sent before such an action was taken. I then paid the dues except the lawyer's fee base on what the lawyer said at the time. 7 mths later, I am served with a summon to appear in court next month.

1. Are delinquent letters required before a lein is placed?
2. Can the association demand lump sum payment if that was not part of the original covenant?
3. Am I entitled to pay the lawyer's fee considering no previous notification was surrendered allowing to make the payment?
4. What should my arguement be in court?
5. How do I check to know if a lein was put on my home?

The yearly fee was dued in April 2000, I made my last quarterly payment in February of the same year- 2000.

There are definitely violations of the covenant as far as the housing division maintainance is concerned.

[Edited by kareese on 03-17-2001 at 08:26 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">