• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners coverage in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HEBratcher

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I sued a defendant who owed me money. He filed a counterclaim for damages alleging malicious procesution and abuse of process. Now I need an attorney to defend this counterclaim. The counterclaim is without merit but I cannot defend it alone.

As the counterclaim is for damages (and is frivolous) should I notify my homeowners insurance as I may need an attorney to defend this counterclaim and I hope the insurance will appoint one. What if there is a crazy result and they get damages. Will my homeowners pay or must I?

HomeGuru

HEBratcher said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I sued a defendant who owed me money. He filed a counterclaim for damages alleging malicious procesution and abuse of process. Now I need an attorney to defend this counterclaim. The counterclaim is without merit but I cannot defend it alone.

As the counterclaim is for damages (and is frivolous) should I notify my homeowners insurance as I may need an attorney to defend this counterclaim and I hope the insurance will appoint one. What if there is a crazy result and they get damages. Will my homeowners pay or must I?

**A: what does your case have to do with your homeowner's insurance?

H

HEBratcher

The suit does not involve homeowners insurance.

The counterclaim seems to claim "damages" due to my suit. The question is would the homeowner's policy provide coverage or at least representation against this claim for damages.

I would think anytime someone sues you for damages that the homeowner's may kick in.

Do you know what exclusions might apply to this counterclaim for damages?

HomeGuru

HEBratcher said:
The suit does not involve homeowners insurance.

The counterclaim seems to claim "damages" due to my suit. The question is would the homeowner's policy provide coverage or at least representation against this claim for damages.

**A: no, not if the suit does not involve your homeowners insurance.
I would think anytime someone sues you for damages that the homeowner's may kick in.

**A: why would you think that? Have you actually read your insurance policy lately?
Do you know what exclusions might apply to this counterclaim for damages?

**A: huh? We do not even have a clue as to what this suit is all about let alone the claim for damages. Thus we have no idea what a counterclaim for damages may be and have no idea as to what exclusions you are asking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">