• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE AND ROOFING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KIKIEGOR

Chicago,Illinois. Lost heat in January,2001 for 5 days, temperatures below freezing. 24" of snow sat on my roof. Damage was not noticable until the first rain when my ceilings started to drip water. Due to the weight of snow and ice my gutters and fascia ripped away from the roof. The roof is app. 15 years old which only added to the stress load. Claims ajuster wants 2 estimates from roofers stating damge was due to the weight of ice and snow. Every one at the company is vague as to what my policy acually covers. Policy states: "Weight of ice,snow or sleet which causes damage to property contained in a building." How do you interpet this?
Thanks, Kikiegor

ALawyer

I'd not be a good one for you -- to me it means that the weight caused a collapse that damged internal proerty. To say that the weight damaged the roof, and the damage to the roof made the roof susceptible to leaks, which later occurrred and hurt the proerty inside weeks later, is a stretch.

BUT to the extent the policy is vague, that helps you, the policyowner, as ambiguity in such policies is generally construed in favor of the policyholder rather than the company which wrote the form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">