• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's Insurance Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NYSLaw

Good Day,
I'm from Newburgh, NY. In July 1999, lighting struck my neighbors home causing an electrical surge to travel underground into my home and causing over $3,000, in property damage. From garage door openers, cordless phones to stereos and televisions.
I had 3 priors claims,
1. The contractors when bulding the home covered the septic pcv pipes with large rocks causing a collapse in 3 different locations.
2. Water damage to the ceilings of 2 rooms as a result of the pipes backing up.
3. The furnace motor burned out.
This home at the time was not even 5 years old.
The damage for the lighting strike and water damage was paid by my insurance company All State.
Nothing else that was reported was paid, but went down as a claim. I then received a letter from the insurance company telling us that the policy was canceled with no prior notice
and now I'm left with no homeowners insurance and no other company wants to be bother.
Is there a cause for action here? Or a violation in part of All State for unfair practice?

ALawyer

Write to the NY State Insurance Department, but some observations may be helpful.

Allstate generally SUCKS. It amazes me that so many people buy products from a company that has a long standing history of screwing their own policyholders, but they do as it is often a few bucks cheaper. (Ditto AIG.) You unfortunately got what you paid for. Usually any property and casualty company can cancel anyone for any reason UNLESS it is discriminatory.

In your case they seem to be applying the old rule, "if they file a claim, pay it for as little as possible and then cancel them." That's usually a permissible practice because it is based on what folk lore says (and perhaps it is even an actuarially supported principle) that people who have something bad happen and file one claim are more likely than the average person to have other bad things happen and thus may file more claims than are projected in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">