• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's Insurance Expense Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

craheb

Connecticut - my house had a fire about 1 year ago and I just settled with the insurance company 2 months ago. The check covered what it is going to take to repair the house and also $20,000 for rent expenses. the $20,000 was based on a document my landlord had sent to the insurance company 6 months ago that outlined what I would owe her by May 2001 in rent for a furnished house($20,000). I hadn't paid her any rent until I got the payment because I didn't have the money to pay her.

The landlord did not have me sign a lease or pay a security deposit as my parents have been close friends with her parents for 30 years and she knew I had been through some rough times (my husband died suddenly 2 years ago).

I paid her $15,000 instead of the $20,000 because of some problems when I first moved in. She says she should get the $20,000 because she took care of all problems promptly and we had agreed to $20,000.

I also took a few things from the house when I moved out and she is threatening criminal action if I don't return them. She can't prove I took them, so should I worry?

She says I am committing insurance fraud by not paying her the $20000. Is she right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Here's exactly what you're saying :

"I'm a criminal. I can't be trusted. I make agreements and then pay no attention to them. I'm also a thief. Insurance fraud is just fine with me. Catch me if you can, but if you catch me, I'll cry. Can I be protected from honest people ?"

Obviously, your parents did a lousy job when you were small. Otherwise, you wouldn't be telling this story, and asking such stupid questions.

IAAL

C

craheb

Message to I am always liable

okay, I'll come clean. I am actually the (idiot)landlord. I am serious. I am really wondering where to begin with all the problems this "friend of the family" has caused.

I was a sucker. The rent was less than my monthly mortgage. In addition, I paid all utilities and heat, paid for trash pickup, lawn care, snow removal, cable t.v.. I was very trusting, thought I was doing a good deed and I got hammered.

We made a verbal agreement, but I didn't get the lease to her until she was at the house six months. We talked about the delay frequently and she wasn't too concerned about it(I was dealing with a seriously ill child and was camped out at the hospital with him.) She never signed the lease, but I do have a copy of the document the insurance company used to reimburse her, along with the fax receipt from the insurance company that they received my document. also, family and friends knew of the arrangement.

Should I call the police first and get her arrested for burglary? I wrote up a detailed inventory list of the furnishings, etc. that I supplied. I went through the house yesterday and noted what was taken. I would say conservatively that she took about $3000. worth of stuff (like my college rocking chair, my wicker furniture, a freezer, etc.)

Do I contact an attorney first? What would they do?

Do I call the insurance company that paid her the check? If they get the $5000 back, will they reimburse me? or do they keep it?

Where do I begin?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You begin by being honest with those persons, like me, from whom you are asking for assistance and help. The contributors on these Boards do not like having their time wasted.

Now, go away and pay for the assistance and help you need.

IAAL

M

mikecutler

Good for you guys

She or He should have told the truth the first time.
Now how can you belive anything that she said.

hope that will learn her...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">