• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Insurance Nightmare!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Darien

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? illinois

my wife and i tried to purchase a home on june 14th 2002 (supposed to be our closing date) we were required to have homeowners insurance in place before closing. we did this and our closing was cancelled 2 hours before the closing the company that owns the property now is telling us that when the previous owners defaulted on the property and they foreclosed the foreclosure was never completed due to the fact that the judicial deed was never filed we have been given 3 closing dates since all cancelled and when we tried to cancel our homeowners policy (we paid for a year) the homeowners company wants to charge us half of what we paid them even though we have never had title to the property, lived in nor can make any claims on this property it's been a nightmare. can they do this legally?:confused:

HomeGuru

Darien said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? illinois

my wife and i tried to purchase a home on june 14th 2002 (supposed to be our closing date) we were required to have homeowners insurance in place before closing. we did this and our closing was cancelled 2 hours before the closing the company that owns the property now is telling us that when the previous owners defaulted on the property and they foreclosed the foreclosure was never completed due to the fact that the judicial deed was never filed we have been given 3 closing dates since all cancelled and when we tried to cancel our homeowners policy (we paid for a year) the homeowners company wants to charge us half of what we paid them even though we have never had title to the property, lived in nor can make any claims on this property it's been a nightmare. can they do this legally?:confused:
**A: file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner. The policy was never in effect because legally an insurance company cannot insure what you do not own ie that which you do not hold title to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">