• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowners insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alimc36

What is the name of your state? OHIO, I changed from one insurance company to another for my homeowners and car insurance-all was well until i received a letter in 9/02 stating that my homeowners ins would be cxld because of no inspection. I called the agent right away adv of letter-it took her 2 weeks to get an inspector to inspect the home. Then on Oct 24th i rcvd a letter again stating that my homeowners ins was cancelled on a letter dated 10/22/02 cxld on 10/21/02 at 1201am-i called and asked why-she said because of the inspecection report-asked what i could do and what was wrong she adv that nothing she could do-i was in shock-called back was told by another agt that it was cxld due to no inspection-this is going round and round 1 week later - still no insurance-which they said they would reinstate after speaking w/a supervisor and that i would have 1 year to correct electrical problems or switch insurance-but called again and its still cancelled-do i have any recourse w/this company-i think they feel that i will just give up and go away and i feel that they has misrepresented their information-no where in all the papers i received did it say that they have a mandatory inspection for houses over 25 years old or that your insurance is pending until the inspection is cleared by the underwriter. HELP fyi as of 7/20/02 i was fully insured with the company they advised of the inspection only after they received payment and i had received all the info from them-no where does it state that there is a mandatory inspection for homes over 25years old. the policy states there "may" be a home inspection due to their descretion. this is the problem-they have written one thing and are saying another! HELP! please

Last edited:

ALawyer

This is one to immediately raise with your State Insurance Department.

IF the policy was actually issued, then there are usualyy state rules as to when cancellation is possible and in what circumstance -- an insurance company just can't willy-nilly cancel insurance.

If the insurance company did NOT approve your applicatiuon and issue the policy, and it was still in underwriting, then the results are far different as it has no obligation to issue a policy unless you meet its normal underwiting standards applied on a non-discriminatory basis. And requiring home inspection -- and no defects -- is not an unreasonable criteria.

In the meanwhile, get another insurance company quickly as it is a condition of most mortgages that a homeowner maintain homeowners insurance on the premises. It may cost a bit more, but, hey, you've learned you often get what you pay for when it comes to insurance. If the same comapny is also on your auto insurance, I'd switch that too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">