• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowners insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathybeaty

What is the name of your state? georgia . i am in disagreement with our state farm adjuster. he brought a contractor with him who is supposed to be on state farm insurance list of providers in our town to evaluate water damage from my roof . he had already told me to get estimates on the damage previously. his guy then came up with an estimated repair cost of about one half of my other 4 estimates. the adjuster then told me that i could get the contractor i chose to do the repair but that he would only pay the lowest estimated price which was his guy's . is this legal? what are my options?

HomeGuru

kathybeaty said:
What is the name of your state? georgia . i am in disagreement with our state farm adjuster. he brought a contractor with him who is supposed to be on state farm insurance list of providers in our town to evaluate water damage from my roof . he had already told me to get estimates on the damage previously. his guy then came up with an estimated repair cost of about one half of my other 4 estimates. the adjuster then told me that i could get the contractor i chose to do the repair but that he would only pay the lowest estimated price which was his guy's . is this legal? what are my options?
**A: ask for other estimates from other contractors on their approved list. Be sure to review the specs on what will be repaired, how it will be repaired, what materials will be used etc. so each contractor is bidding on the same thing.

kathybeaty

at this point i don't feel that this adjuster is going to give us a fair shake on the whole situation. he keeps coming back to me with added deductibles because of points of entry of the water 1) fireplaces 2) windows at $1000 ea. ded. and now says he can't pay for the bathroom we repaired at $3700(and i have my receipts and bills from the repairmen who performed the work because he told me to gather them so that he could look over them for payment) because he did not see the damage, he said he would pay for the wet insulation in our attic-- then said he would not. so i've wondered if i need to just write a letter to the insurance commissioner or if i can ask for another adjuster. i've asked about other contractors on the list and he gave me one name but no number to contact. he pretty much forced this one guy on me. what do i do to make sure we are treated fairly? is this a common practice for insurance companies to have their own people to give low estimates and is this legal? this is my first claim ever filed. also, the contractor with state farm has never gotten back to me with his 3 references and said that his paperwork went directly to the adjuster and told me that he is going to be working directly with the adjuster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">