• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markkelson

In Texas I have homeowners insurance through State Farm.

I have called the agent and claims department trying to find out if my liability insurance covers me if I was to be sued for something other then physical bodily injury or property damage.

I am wondering if it could cover someone who has to defend them self (pay legal fees, etc) if they were to be sued by someone for something like slander.

The agent says yes but cannot write it down or point to anything in the policy that really indicates that. The claims department is not sure. An umbrella poicy seems to cover it but cost about 280 per year.

I would like to find out if my homeowners covers it first before I go out a purchase added coverage.

ALawyer

Although I am NOT familiar with the specific policy and language you have or Texas laws, a homeowners policy often would provide a private individual the costs of the defense against claims of slander arisng from personal vs. business pursuits.

IF, however, the slander were regarded as wilful -- let's say knowingly and intentionally done - then most policies provisions refusing coverage (but not necessarily defense) for intentional acts may exculpate the carrier from having to pay the judgment. In other words, you can't but insurance and then intentionally go out and slander someone and expect the insurance company to pay.

M

markkelson

I found out that Peronal Liability can be added (for a very small added fee) to my homeowners policy in addition to the Bodily Injury and Property Damage that is already there. It took the agent a while to figure this out.

Basically I just want to have some form of insurance that would cover legal fees for an attorney to defend a law suit brought against me (not expecting it to cover any intentional acts) that are not related to property damage or bodily injury.

Would you recommend Pre Paid Legal if you are concered about getting sued?

If so, any recommendations on how to select one or who to pick?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">