• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Julie936

Two brothers and I (3 owners) own house and land. One brother lives in the basement apt. in the house. The brother who lives in the house has installed a new lock on the garage - he has the only key. Is it legal for him to lock the other 2 owners out of any portion of the property? Also, the brother in the house has let "friends" live in the upstairs rent free. I fear damage to this jointly owned property. Is there anything we can do to stop this?:confused:

ALawyer

You guys could work out the groundrules or seek to partition the property. If you can't work it out amicably, you'll need a real estate lawyer.

But as it stands if you own it jointly you all have equal rights to all the property.

As for damage, whether thru the "friends" or others, I hope you have homeowners insurance on the premises.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">