• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horn Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ken.bld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I recently moved into a new apartment and a neighbor found out I was a hearing disabled veteran and started harassing me with his car horn. Can I stop this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well OP what kind of beeping are we talking about? Engaging the car alarm? That will NOT get you anywhere.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I recently moved into a new apartment and a neighbor found out I was a hearing disabled veteran and started harassing me with his car horn. Can I stop this?
**A: what type of harassment? What did you do to provoke? What is the complete story?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
**A: what type of harassment? What did you do to provoke? What is the complete story?
He posted a link to a personal website detailing things (I didn't personally visit it), but it was removed as improper.

It SOUNDS like the neighbor parks below his apartment and then the horn beeps quickly when the alarm is activated.

cyjeff

from the OP's website...

Immediately after I called (edit - the landlord) one of the tenants on h's property next door started honking his horn under my window. He has the alarm with the horn that honks when you click the button. He likes to pull in late at night, after I am asleep, then repeatedly honk his horn under my window.

One evening I saw the harasser pulling in early. I started my recorder and sure enough he pulled his stunt. Since it was not late I figured I could get the police to come out and put a stop to it. But instead the harasser refused to open his door. The policeman said:

"I can hear him in there but he won't open his door". I said to the officer:

"What does that tell you?".

When Officer Blitch first arrived he was skeptical. But after he saw the harasser hiding behind his door and refusing to open it his attitude towards me changed. He realized I was indeed being harassed and apologized since there was nothing he could do.

A night or two after that nothing had changed. I set my recorder and went to bed. An hour or so later he pulled his stunt as usual. You can hear him shut his car door. He honks his horn once. It takes him about 10 seconds to walk to his apartment door. Before going in he honks the horn 3 more times. My downstairs neighbor has confirmed he's hearing it also. This is a very typical recording of his stunt.

He will also come to his front door periodically and just beep the horn once. He has been harassing me like this for many weeks now.

It's bad enough feeling the stress of knowing you are being harassed because of an affliction you acquired from serving your country honorably for 6 years. But on top of that I am going to work yawning after he "has his fun". I am in IT. Employers worry about people working on their networks especially when those person yawn all day as if they have been out drinking all night.

HomeGuru

He posted a link to a personal website detailing things (I didn't personally visit it), but it was removed as improper.

It SOUNDS like the neighbor parks below his apartment and then the horn beeps quickly when the alarm is activated.
**A: oh, if it's that then I have no further comment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know what will stop this? Earplugs!

Seriously - if the horn honking doesn't bother you, it will stop.

Alex23

I wanted to read the blog. Will someone PM the link to me? I know what it's like to have a neighbor who can't stop beeping his car.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">