• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horse boarder causing trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rale317

A horse boarder told one of my employees I have a reputation for beating women. They said this information was based off of something someone said in a specific town that supposedly I knew and was based on a specific person I dated.
I proved it that the accusation was false.
They refuse to supply the name of the source of the accusation. I have no choice but to assume she came up with it on her own.

In my contract for this facility I say that I must provide a 30-day notice before breaking the agreement or evicting someone.
I don't say I'm my contract anything about removing someone for trying to cause trouble here.

In this case can I remove them immediately without notice if they're trying to stir rumors that could be detrimental to my business?

Just Blue

A horse boarder told one of my employees I have a reputation for beating women. They said this information was based off of something someone said in a specific town that supposedly I knew and was based on a specific person I dated.
They refuse to supply the name of the source of the accusation. I have no choice but to assume she came up with it on her own.

In my contract for this facility I say that I must provide a 30-day notice before breaking the agreement or evicting someone.
I don't say I'm my contract anything about removing someone for trying to cause trouble here.

In this case can I remove them immediately without notice if they're trying to stir rumors that could be detrimental to my business?
What state?

LdiJ

Irregardless of whether or not your contract would allow you to do that, there is the very real possibility that the person spreading the rumors will do even worse if they feel that they have been unfairly evicted without notice. Even just providing the 30 day notice could rile things up. Then you would have to defend why you threw them out, and that would bring things back up again. It might be wiser for your business to back off for now and look for a smoother excuse to get rid of them.

quincy

What injury have you suffered as a result of the false accusation supposedly made against you by this unknown horse boarder?

Whether you can evict a horse from your boarding facility because of something the horse owner said about you depends on the contract you have with the horse owner.

Whether you have any defamation claim worth pursuing will require that you identify the horse owner, prove that the horse owner said what s/he is said to have said to your employee, and that you have suffered demonstrable injury to your reputation as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">