• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horse stall Rent Stipulation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

md123456

Hello. I moved to an apartment on a horse farm in NY State where I keep my 2 horses. The landlord has 4 horses of his own. The lease states: "The Landlord shall rent the apartment at XXX, described as $300.00 Per Stall Per Month. One stall free per month for caring of Landlord's four horses to the tenant." I am currently getting one stall for free and paying $300 for the second. If I do not want to take care of his horses anymore, am I acting within my rights under the lease to pay an additional $300 (so $600 total for 2 stalls) in lieu of caring for his horses. I would of course notify him so that he can make arrangements for his horses but the work for his horses has become too burdensome and I make more than enough money to just pay for my 2 stalls and not worry. Before I bring this up to him, I want to know my rights. From my understanding I can just pay the $300 and not take the option of the free stall in exchange for work but I did not go to law school! Thank you kindly for your time!

LdiJ

Hello. I moved to an apartment on a horse farm in NY State where I keep my 2 horses. The landlord has 4 horses of his own. The lease states: "The Landlord shall rent the apartment at XXX, described as $300.00 Per Stall Per Month. One stall free per month for caring of Landlord's four horses to the tenant." I am currently getting one stall for free and paying $300 for the second. If I do not want to take care of his horses anymore, am I acting within my rights under the lease to pay an additional $300 (so $600 total for 2 stalls) in lieu of caring for his horses. I would of course notify him so that he can make arrangements for his horses but the work for his horses has become too burdensome and I make more than enough money to just pay for my 2 stalls and not worry. Before I bring this up to him, I want to know my rights. From my understanding I can just pay the $300 and not take the option of the free stall in exchange for work but I did not go to law school! Thank you kindly for your time!
Well, he is likely to end up quite unhappy. I am guessing that the odds of him finding someone else to care for the horses for 300.00 a month is probably slim to none. If you have a month to month lease, you may find yourself getting notice to move out.

md123456

Well, he is likely to end up quite unhappy. I am guessing that the odds of him finding someone else to care for the horses for 300.00 a month is probably slim to none. If you have a month to month lease, you may find yourself getting notice to move out.
Well I have a 2 year lease and I know he isn't going to be happy because that level of work is worth closer to $600 a month. Him and his wife are very demanding and want more and more that I never agreed to do. I work a corporate job and don't want to come home to all this work when it wasn't what I agreed upon.

Based on the wording, do you think that I am within my rights to pay the $300 instead of doing the work so long as I tell him? If he wants to throw in the second stall then I will be willing to consider but putting that aside, I just want to ensure I am at all times in compliance with my lease.

LdiJ

Well I have a 2 year lease and I know he isn't going to be happy because that level of work is worth closer to $600 a month. Him and his wife are very demanding and want more and more that I never agreed to do. I work a corporate job and don't want to come home to all this work when it wasn't what I agreed upon.

Based on the wording, do you think that I am within my rights to pay the $300 instead of doing the work so long as I tell him? If he wants to throw in the second stall then I will be willing to consider but putting that aside, I just want to ensure I am at all times in compliance with my lease.
You should at least try talking to him. However, I wouldn't make it about the money. I would explain to him that you have a corporate job and you just do not have time to properly care for his horses so you would rather just pay for both stalls.

md123456

You should at least try talking to him. However, I wouldn't make it about the money. I would explain to him that you have a corporate job and you just do not have time to properly care for his horses so you would rather just pay for both stalls.
Ok I will give it a shot. He has been level headed in the past for the most part so hopefully I get that side of him. What would you suggest I do if he is insistent that I must care for his horses? Am I then within my rights to not do so. This is a right to work country so I can't see a judge giving an order that I must do so. It's not like I am trying to get out of paying if I do not work. I just want to feel more secure going into the conversation by knowing my rights. Thank you for all the time and consideration you have put into helping me.

LdiJ

Ok I will give it a shot. He has been level headed in the past for the most part so hopefully I get that side of him. What would you suggest I do if he is insistent that I must care for his horses? Am I then within my rights to not do so. This is a right to work country so I can't see a judge giving an order that I must do so. It's not like I am trying to get out of paying if I do not work. I just want to feel more secure going into the conversation by knowing my rights. Thank you for all the time and consideration you have put into helping me.
I cannot read your entire lease so I cannot say for certain if you are obligated as a contract to care for the horses or if its just a perk that you can care for the horses and get one stall free. You would need an opinion from a local attorney.

HRZ

THe language is up for debate ...by I can see reading it in context that you are his employee and part of your compensation package is the apartment rental in return for stall duties ....and if you quit your job the deal may be off...I did not check NY rules as to eviction of employees from employer provided housing at termination of employment but your be smart to check. It may not be as simple as just paying extra if the " employer" balks at same .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">