• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hospital bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perfectflaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
On March 27, my husband of 42 years had a heart attack and died. After three calls to 911, the ambulance finally arrived but it was too late. They spent about 15 minutes unsuccessfully trying to revive him and then drove him to the hospital. I followed and was put into a little room and asked to sign a paper for organ donation. I have received a bill from the hospital for $15,000!!! I almost had a heart attack myself. I called to ask about it but was immediately directed to apply for medical assistance to help pay it. I don't want medical assistance (my husband lost his job and we did not have health insurance) and I don't feel I should pay this bill at all! I don't understand what it could possibly be for as they did nothing for me or my husband.

Lukas

Following article might give you some ideas:

Hospital Overcharges 101

To me it appears that you had a service provided to you and you do owe something.

Your job it to verify that you are being charged for service rendered at usual and customary cost. Healthcare advocacy group might help, maybe? (although most that I found seemed to be a "wolf in a sheep clothing").

First thing I would do is to get detailed bill (with CPT codes for procedures) to see what they are charging you for and look up CPT in DB numbers to see what Medicare cost would be. Some sites suggest that you could try to negotiate for Medicare cost *1.25

(but note that I ended up here because I have unresolved billing issue myself, ie I'm far from being an expert, but I did some research :) )

Good luck.

ecmst12

The hospital is free to charge more then "usual and customary" charge if they want. There is no contract in place that would prevent it, for an uninsured patient.

Lukas

The hospital is free to charge more then "usual and customary" charge if they want. There is no contract in place that would prevent it, for an uninsured patient.
Hospital is free to charge less as well. They are also free to settle for less than they originally charged. It seems a common practice that bills have build in costs that are not related to you personally (bad debt, collections etc) and allow for a lot of wiggle room if you talk to them.

Going back to the original question I wonder if perhaps papers that were signed, assuming there were some, were signed under duress(?) and might be considered invalid in the court of law.

(just my opinion, even in cases where it reads like an advice)

lealea1005

Hospital is free to charge less as well.
Actually, it's illegal to have more than one fee schedule.

If contracted with an insurance company, they must accept the "negotiated" fee. If out of network, or not contracted, they are permitted to charge their regular fee, or balance bill the difference btween their regular fee and what an insurance company pays.

swalsh411

Sorry about the loss... but OP believes she should not have to pay anything because they were not able to save her husband's life? :confused:

That's not how it works. If you only had to pay if the patient's life was saved then hospitals and doctors would refuse to treat patients whose prognosis was not hopeful.

Mass_Shyster

OP believes she should not have to pay anything because they were not able to save her husband's life?
Actually, it appears that OP believes that the husband was deceased before he arrived at the hospital and received no medical treatment, with the possible exception of organ harvesting.

perfectflaw

thank you

Thanks all for your thoughts. I should clarify that my husband was deceased when he arrived at the hospital. I paid the ambulance $895 and the doctor $150. It's not true that I don't think I owe them because they did not save his life. That's ridiculous. I don't think I owe them because they did not do anything nor did I expect them to do anything at that point.

Lukas

Did they pronounce your spouse dead in the ambulance or in the hospital? Perhaps they were still following some procedure to save him? (I'm speculating) Like I heard that even when patient has no vital signs they will still try to revive him/her to avoid lawsuits ("you did not try hard enough" type).

Can you disclose what services the bill is for? (I'm more curious than trying to help, but perhaps others can)

ajkroy

Either way, the costs associated are not with organ-harvesting. It is difficult enough to convince people to donate their organs for free. :(

OP, I am sorry for your loss, but am grateful that you and your husband were selfless enough to donate his organs. I hope this bill is researched and found not to be your responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">