• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital's refusal to file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doughgirl

What is the name of your state? I had a child and the hospital he was born in did not, and would not, file my bills with my insurance company. The hospital filed claims for my new born son and my insurance paid $35,000, most of his bill. But they never filed claims for MY bills, which totaled over $4,000. A couple of weeks after birth the hospital called wanting us to pay the bills recieved for me. I told them to file claims with my insurance company, they said they did, and the claim was denied because we no longer had insurance. I checked with my insurance and I was still covered for almost a month after my release. My son was released 8 days AFTER me and all of his claims were filed and paid, while none of mine were and I was the primary insured. When the hospital called again, I again told them my findings and to file claim with my insurance provider. They instead, sent the bill to collections. My insurance co. sent me documentation which stated they never recieved any claims for me after the child was born, that I was covered during that period, and an itemized statement of all claims filed. The collection agency would not accept any explanation, they just wanted thier money. Since then I have been taken to small claims, where I stated my story, but I still lost the case because the collection agency did everything within the perimeters of the law to collect a debt and, themselves, did not do anything wrong-according to the judge. Was this a hint to pursue the hospital in some manner? I signed a paper stating that I would be the financially responsible party (awhile before my son's birth), does this make the hospital exempt from having to file? If not, what laws, rule or regulations were not followed, on the hospital's part? What do I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">