• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hourly worker expected to travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmel8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? indiana

im an hourly paid employee and my employer wants me to take trips that require overnight stays. this employer says that im not entitled to any type compensation for staying away over night. they say that since the drive is 8 hours or less and anytime spent at hotels is personal time and not company time. i could understand this if i was on salary but i get paid hourly. also any time i get overtime during the week they send me home early friday so they can get out of paying overtime. is this within the companies right to expect this of me.

ecmst12

The travel time may or may not be compensable but the time at the hotel would certainly not be, you're not working during that time.

Yes, they can make you leave early on Friday so your total hours for the week don't go over 40. Perfectly legal, as long as it is the same work week.

pattytx

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_785/29CFR785.38.htm
through
http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_785/29CFR785.40.htm

this employer says that im not entitled to any type compensation for staying away over night.
That is correct. There is no extra pay legally due just because you are out of town overnight.

Would you be traveling during the time that you would normally be working?

any time i get overtime during the week they send me home early friday so they can get out of paying overtime
Legal. The employer can adjust the schedule so that you do not work over 40 hours in the workweek.

is this within the companies right to expect this of me
Yes, but answer the question above, and read the FLSA regulations I cited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">