• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours cut/health care eliminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tandrus

What is the name of your state? California:
I work for a major airline. Presently, this company only offers health insurance for full time workers. All of the full time employees at my station were told that, due to a change in the airline's flight schedules, our full time status would be eliminiated and we would go to part time. This also means that all the full time employees would lose their health care benefits. COBRA was offered but we feel this is unacceptable, non affordable and a short term solution at best. When we were offered these full time positions we were not told that this would be "seasonal" or temporary full time status. Is there any recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In a word, no. In the absence of a binding contract that says otherwise, your employer has no legal obligation to provide health insurance at all. It is perfectly legal to provide it only to full time employees. If your hours are changed to part time for a business related reason, they have no legal obligation to make an exception and continue to continue to provide health insurance. They are obligated to offer COBRA and they have done that. If you don't find that an acceptable option, I'm sorry to hear that but it's just too bad so sad. You can accept COBRA or you can find alternate insurance on your own. Your employer has met their obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">