• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours cut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IowaCowboy

Massachusetts

I was a part time bagger at a grocery store, and also a cashier. I am 36 years old and have a disability.

Last summer I took paid time off because my family had to move unexpectedly. My manager was hostile because a competitor store was on strike and our store was swamped.

After that, I requested a job change because of my disability. I am now a part time cashier. I have never had a customer complaint or been short on my register. I provided documentation from my doctor.

At this time I was told I could expect fewer hours because they had so many cashiers.

My hours have been great greatly reduced to two four hour shifts a week and they hired more cashiers.

I lost my social security disability benefits from working so many hours and now I’m broke.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So that I know whether you and I are both on the same page, please tell me what law you think was violated.

PayrollHRGuy

If there is any retaliation taking place it isn't because of your disability it is because you took time off to help your family move. Which by the way I don't understand. If you can't bag groceries how are you any help in moving?

Chyvan

My hours have been great greatly reduced to two four hour shifts a week and they hired more cashiers.
You investigate collecting UI to mitigate your wage loss with the reduced hours or orchestrate a good cause quit if you haven't worked the reduced hours too long a time and collect your full UI benefit with no offset because of your earnings.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't see that you've got anything like a slam dunk case here. By your description the "hostility" started when you asked for time off to help your family move, which is not a protected activity.

Dandy Don

Sorry that you were treated so shabbily. Don't you have the option of seeing what other job opportunities may be available at other stores who may be able to offer you more hours?

Would you consider working a second job or would that be too much strain on you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">