• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours stolen and threatened termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greatsince1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. My wife recently worked some hours to make up for a day she was absent, after asking an available supervisor if it was ok. when her normal supervisor returned the next day, he erased those hours from payroll and threatened termination if it happened again. can he do that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He cannot refuse to pay her for hours she has already worked.

He can threaten termination (and, in fact, he can actually terminate) if it happens again.

May not be fair. May not make sense. Is legal.

I'm not quite sure why so many people think it's illegal to warn an employee that they will be terminated if such and such happens. If she was fired without ever having been told that termination was a possibility, would you like that better? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">