• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House fire, contractor has insurance check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Staceywill1313

I had a small house fire and it affected the kitchen and downstairs since m children and I have been living upstairs only we have rented a refrigerator and I purchased a microwave and toaster oven for preparing meals which are all located upstairs as well while waiting for the insurance check and then another three weeks for my lienholder to sign I am not the type to sit around and dwell I kept busy by cleaning what I could remind you I have small children living in this home the smell of sweat the depressing site and the mass was almost unbearable . I took it upon myself well waiting for the insurance company and somebody to tell me what to do to start cleaning I move the furniture into the garage took everything down from the walls and pack them up and fill the nail holes in the walls and sanded them wipe down the walls from the soot. Removed all the burnt items and paid to have them taken away the burnt up appliances took the cabinets off-the-wall’s had them hold away scrape the ceiling and remove the burnt drywall. I also bought what I needed as I went along cleaning supplies tools that I needed replacements of items that were burnt new drywall anything I needed to put my house back together before the fire I figured it didn’t matter and the homeowner I’m have to pay for some of it obviously and whatever the insurance company paid I figured they reimburse me or I’d reimburse myself. Well finally the lienholder signed the check and my contractor took it upon himself to put in some sort of accounts to finish the repairs which is fine that is my goal however to date if that check covers and is paying for let’s just say $5000 of things I’ve already done and charged on my account or paid out of pocket why can’t I get reimbursed are used bill money in savings money and all the money I had now I can’t pay my bills. I don’t want to profit I just want to be whole. I wanted to get some work done this weekend and had some people willing to come over and do it with me and I have no access to money to go to the store to buy supplies the contractor is asking me for all my receipts and invoices to date and I’ll submit it what the hell does that mean when did I lose control... please help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">