• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Louanne Rivera

What is the name of your state? New York
My home totally destroyed in a fire. This happened on 5/25/03, the insurance company {State Farm}, still has not given me very much information, as to what's going on with my claim. They are talking about paying partial rent for an apartment for four months, should it take so long before my insurance company pays on my policy? How long should it take for an insurance company to settle?

djohnson

I don't know the legal time but I know from this happening to me and others that it is a long drawn out process. Typically a couple of months. Depending on your insurance they may pay for rent or give you up front money to live on until it settled. I would just suggest staying on them because (at least here) they don't get in any hurry.

L

Louanne Rivera

ins. company not paying rent

The insurance company was supposed to pay for rent in an apartment for four months, they went through a housing agency. Well the guy from the insurance company called me asking "What kind of apartment i was renting, he got a bill from the company for $10,000 for four months. It was just a regular three bedroom apartmentm but was going to be fully furnished buy rental company. The insurance guy said they would not pay that much. I told him I could continue to stay with my brother but my brother wanted $450.00, a month, which equals to $1,800, big savings for the ins company. They said they would send it out, but when I called to find out why they hadn't sent it they told me they couldn't until the special investigators were done with their investigation. So how were they going to move me into an apartment? Now me, my husband and are five kids are stuck at my brothers house{sleeping on futon mattresses on the floor}, and I'm not sure what to do now!! Please help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">