• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

troyaaron444

What is the name of your state?

In most states they have up to 24 months to settle during which time they may conduct a " fair and full investigation of the insured and the incident". This is not to be confused with badgering, harrassment, embarrassment, belittling, and finally denial of the claim. I have been waiting a year and a half and just found out they denied the contents part of my claim. They did however pay for the structure considering I had a mortgage loan and the bank had a vested interest. GOOD LUCK.....Your not in good hands wth allstate.....:confused:

tammy8

Please explain the exact way that your home "caught on fire". We may be able to determine a couple of reasons as to why you were denied or why you should be indemnified.

T

troyaaron444

My house caught fire from a space heater that was defective and while my fiance was filling it up it ignited and caught the living room drapes on fire. She tried to run into the kitchen and get water but it spread to fast. My leather couch went up due to the leather conditioner that was on it and it continued from there. They are stating that it was done on purpose even though they had the fire marshall and independent experienced personel evaluate it. They have also stated that I misrepresented material facts during my examination under oath, but did not explain as to what these supposed misrepresentations were. Can I get copies of my file that they have or is that something I should leave up to my lawyer to get for me? I am having a hard time gettting a hold of him and am questioning the validity of there denial.

T

troyaaron444

I live in Oregon

the state in which I reside and the fire occured is in Oregon.

tammy8

Some companies won't pay for damage to a space heater or wood stove. Probably your insurance company is trying to go after the company that made the defective space heater. Unforunately that part of takes time.

Good luck.

T

troyaaron444

denial

If them going after the company whom sold the space heater why would they deny my contents claim. I would think that in order for them to do that they would have to inform me and also let me know if I was to be involved in that litigation suit. I think this is just there normal practice and they think if I do file suit they will just offer me some money and shut me up if I don't well then they just saved the company thousands of dollars. Companies that operate under these types of beureacracies need some form of monitoring it is defrauding society as a whole.

T

troyaaron444

still waiting

I guess this is what I'll have to do. I spoke with him today. Would it hurt my case to file a complaint with the insurance division about their denial of my claim

P

poleaxed

troyaaron444 said:
My house caught fire from a space heater that was defective and while my fiance was filling it up it ignited...
This was a kerosene heater? And she was filling it while it was lit, rather than after it had been shut off, and allowed to cool?
If this was the case, I think you should consider yourself lucky they paid anything.

T

troyaaron444

poleaxed what?

The kerosene heaeter had been off all night she was filling it first thing in the mourning and the glow plug suddenly sucked the liquid in and spit it out on fire. Regardless of how it happened it was an accident and they cover accidents last time I checked that is the purpose of insurance to cover you in case of an accident or mishap. If I paid my premuims and an accidental fire occured that is what I paid for, that is suppose to be the nature of insurance. not to drag your feet, pick through your life with a fine tooth comb, belittle, demean and antagonize the insured. Resulting in a subsequent denial and ultimately losing every thing you have worked for. If this were the case why would even have insurance in the first place!!!!!:mad:

B

BennyDi

Re: poleaxed what?

troyaaron444 said:
The kerosene heaeter had been off all night she was filling it first thing in the mourning and the glow plug suddenly sucked the liquid in and spit it out on fire. Regardless of how it happened it was an accident and they cover accidents last time I checked that is the purpose of insurance to cover you in case of an accident or mishap. If I paid my premuims and an accidental fire occured that is what I paid for, that is suppose to be the nature of insurance. not to drag your feet, pick through your life with a fine tooth comb, belittle, demean and antagonize the insured. Resulting in a subsequent denial and ultimately losing every thing you have worked for. If this were the case why would even have insurance in the first place!!!!!:mad:
Just a suggestion here....maybe you can sue the manufacturer of the "defective" space heater for the loss of your contents? I'm not questioning whether the space heater was defective or not, just highlighting it.

I'm not sure exactly why Allstate is denying your claim for your contents reimbursement, although you do mention misrepresentation in your statements while under oath and also that you, yourself, don't know what those misrepresentations are. You mentioned that you have an attorney? Doesn't your attorney know what those misrepresentations were, or can't he/she find out? You also stated that they are saying "it was done on purpose." I suppose you don't know exactly what led them to this conclusion either? I would assume that if "it was done on purpose," they wouldn't pay the claim for the dwelling, either. I would most definitely have your attorney fully explain these things to you. Keep trying to get in touch with your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">