• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mellgolec

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I have had a house fire and am going through a divorce. Husband has been out of house for a year and a half. Insurance company will not pay me without putting both names on checks. Husband has taken his things long ago and we do not speak, so he will not sign the checks. I feel insurance company should be paying me. Please help!

HomeGuru

If title to the property is in both names the insurance company is legally responsible to issue the checks in both names. The company is not required to issue the solely check to you or force your husband to sign.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mellgolec said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon
I have had a house fire and am going through a divorce. Husband has been out of house for a year and a half. Insurance company will not pay me without putting both names on checks. Husband has taken his things long ago and we do not speak, so he will not sign the checks. I feel insurance company should be paying me. Please help!

My response:

Since the fire damage is causing the house to "lay in waste", then if your husband refuses to sign the checks, your only alternative is to file a motion with the court, asking the court that your husband be ordered, in open court, to sign the checks, or to suffer the consequences of "contempt of court."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">