• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sal3014

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Our furnace caught our house on fire. They have determined the fire was due to improper installation of the furnace. We lost about half of our belongings and the house has to be stripped down to the studs and rebuilt due to smoke damage. The insurance company is being very generous as far as replacement. We assume that they will file a claim against the company that installed the furnace and get their money back. We have spent hour and hours filing this claim. Can we recoup any money for our time and trouble from this or do we just get reimbursement for the tangible items that were destroyed.

JETX

"Can we recoup any money for our time and trouble from this"
*** No.

"or do we just get reimbursement for the tangible items that were destroyed."
*** You get reimbursed for whatever the insurance allows in your claim.

S

sal3014

Ok now that we figured out the best place to get towels could someone explain to me why a company can charge me for labor to put in a furnace that burns up my house but I can't charge them for my labor to clean up the mess they made. BTW the electric furnace was put in upside down with the heating element 3 inches from the wood floor. If they woulda read the directions it says to be sure and put it 3 feet from anything combustable. OOPS!

tammy8

Normally an insurance company will pay for the damages but not pay for the cause of the damages (furnace or water heater or ice maker, etc).

I am glad you didn't lose more than you did and honestly tread on thin ice as you a high candiate for cancellation.

My advice is personally sue the installation company. You probably won't get much but there is always hope.

Good luck and glad everyone is safe!

HomeGuru

sal3014 said:
Ok now that we figured out the best place to get towels could someone explain to me why a company can charge me for labor to put in a furnace that burns up my house but I can't charge them for my labor to clean up the mess they made. BTW the electric furnace was put in upside down with the heating element 3 inches from the wood floor. If they woulda read the directions it says to be sure and put it 3 feet from anything combustable. OOPS!
**A: read your insurance policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">