• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house in trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My mother has her house in a living trust. She and I both live in California and the house is in Hawaii. My sister & her family currently live in the house (which is paid off) and pay the property tax. The house is in bad need of repair because they have not maintained the property. My sister presented me with 2 legal froms which state 1)the trustee (my mom) would like to appoint us as co-trustees of the trust and 2)a loan maintenace agreement which states that she would like to take out a loan for repair/renovation of house & she will be soley responsible should she default. My mother has signed & notarized both and sent the forms to me. My sister has expressed that she would like to knock down the house & rebuild the structure because the property is in pretty bad shape.

My question is should I sign any of this paperwork? Next question is, if my sister takes out a loan with the house as collateral can I be responsible since I will be co-trustee of the trust? My mother has issues & doesn't want to sell the house but won't tell my sister. The house is in bad shape and it's become a saftey concern. I'm stuck in the middle and I'd like to wash my hads of this.

Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential