• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House & Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hazel123usa

What is the name of your state? WI

Here is the problem. I would like to know what to do because I can’t think straight.
In summer of 2000, we suffered a property damage loss. Our gutters fell down due to the heavy rains. We notified our mortgage company immediately about the loss as well. Our county was even declared a disaster area. At the time, I was unemployed and did not have the means to fix up the house. We tried to refinance numerous times, but we were not able. During this time, our insurance company even cancelled our policy without our knowledge. They told us our policy did not cover it and didn’t notify us that our policy was cancelled. During the winter of 2000, ice dams from excessive snow did further damage. Again we notified our mortgage company about the loss, etc. Again, we tried to refinance, but were rejected. During this time, the house is getting worse then ever. I have had some temporary jobs since 2000, but no permanent one. Now our house has mold problems. Also, our mortgage company was supposed to put money in escrow if taxes or insurance were not paid. In June, we were notified by the city to repair house. We thought we could wait until fall, because we would not be penalized with the prepayment penalty. I got a temporary assignment for little over a month.

Also, I was advised by mortgage company to submit claim again to mortgage lender placed coverage. However, everytime, I call there – I have to leave message, because no one is there. I tried to email the adjuster, but they don’t take claims over internet. I have left so many messages, and no call back.

What should we do?

Bigfoot

First: Find out is who the mortgage company selected to provide your homeowner's coverage. Sometimes their charges are exceptionally high!

Second, contact your State Insurance Commissioner's office with regards to the first carrier refusing to provide coverage for replacing the gutters. Gutters are not usually a very expensive thing to replace, so I'm not sure what is meant by it not being a coverable expense. Also, I can't believe the homeowner insurance carrier would drop your coverage because of gutters.

They probably did, however, inform you of their right to cancel your coverage, effective of the next anniversary date of the policy.

It is your responsibility, however, to have prevented the additional damage. And, if your coverage was cancelled, then that carrier would no longer be funding your escrow account. The company selected by the bank, however, may be funding it. This is what you need to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">