• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House not built on the owner's land!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

Florida. I am interested in buying a home. However, there was some kind of mix-up and the house was not built on the owner's property!!!! Apparently, no one did a check before building the house. It is built on public property. Now they want to sell this house but they haven't fixed this problem yet. How long do you think it will take them to fix this problem if it is indeed even fixable? Thanks.

Just Blue

Florida. I am interested in buying a home. However, there was some kind of mix-up and the house was not built on the owner's property!!!! Apparently, no one did a check before building the house. It is built on public property. Now they want to sell this house but they haven't fixed this problem yet. How long do you think it will take them to fix this problem if it is indeed even fixable? Thanks.
Find another house. ;)

justalayman

If it’s not on his land, it’s not his house unless there is a contract allowing him to build the house and that it would remain separate ffrom the real estate. Given it was mistakenly built where it is, I suspect there is no such contract.

It’s time to walk away. His solutions are to purchase the land the house is on. Of course the state has no obligation to sell him the land. Even if they wanted to, the process can be extremely lengthy.

Or, to move the house, if it is of a type it can be moved. He would need permission from the land owner to do that. This would likely be faster than the first option but definitely not a quick resolution, nor cheap.

I strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

Mass_Shyster

How long do you think it will take them to fix this problem if it is indeed even fixable? Thanks.
It is only fixable if the owner of the land agrees to sell the land to the seller. An alternative would be to move the house to a lot owned by the seller. I would expect either option to take several years.

FlyingRon

Seeing how the property appears to be owned by the government, it's unlikely to be easily "fixed." You can't even claim adverse possession against government lands in Florida (even if the other requirements are met). While the local governments are free to acquire and dispose of real estate broadly under the Municipal Home Rule Powers Act, the localities tend to only do so when they have some substantial interest in seeing the transfer happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">