• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Sold While Renting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AsIppy

What is the name of your state? I live in Clark County NV. The house I am renting til oct 31 was sold.

All monies were transfered to new owner. How long do they have to give key deposit back?

I know there is up to a 10 day for security deposit, but key deposits?

How is a move out walkthrough to take place if they didn't see the house before I moved in? I do have pictures, but I don't know if my condition sheet was turned over.

Last question, the real estate agent selling/buyer not the rental agent sent contractors without notifying me. Roofers started at 5:45 am. I had to be there during inspection and repairs. Am I entitled to get some money back for the out of reasonable hours, or for having to stay with contractors (no agents were present during any of this.)

zddoodah

How long do they have to give key deposit back?
NRS 118A.242(4) states as follows: "Upon termination of the tenancy by either party for any reason, the landlord may claim of the security deposit . . . only such amounts as are reasonably necessary to remedy any default of the tenant in the payment of rent, to repair damages to the premises caused by the tenant other than normal wear and to pay the reasonable costs of cleaning the premises. The landlord shall provide the tenant with an itemized, written accounting of the disposition of the security deposit . . . and return any remaining portion of the security deposit to the tenant no later than 30 days after the termination of the tenancy by handing it to the tenant personally at the place where the rent is paid, or by mailing it to the tenant at the tenant’s present address or, if that address is unknown, at the tenant’s last known address."

I know there is up to a 10 day for security deposit, but key deposits?
I don't understand what you mean by "key deposit." NRS 118A.240(1) states as follows: "Any payment, deposit, fee or charge that is to be used for any of the following purposes is a 'security deposit' and is governed by the provisions of this section and NRS 118A.242 and 118A.244: (a) Remedying any default of the tenant in the payments of rent. (b) Repairing damages to the premises other than normal wear caused by the tenant. (c) Cleaning the dwelling unit." There is no provision in the law for a "key deposit" or distinguishing a "key deposit" from a "security deposit."

How is a move out walkthrough to take place if they didn't see the house before I moved in?
This question does not appear to raise any legal issue.

Am I entitled to get some money back for the out of reasonable hours, or for having to stay with contractors
No.

FarmerJ

You know its possible that the landlord you rented from has alot of pictures of the empty unit before you moved in to show its condition for her or his own records and they could have given to the new owner copies of those pictures during the transfer of the property. just make sure you leave the unit clean from top to bottom, tubs toilets, sinks, inside all cabs & closets and if the cook stove is electric or on a flex line to carefully move and clean under and dont forget to leave windows and light fixture glass clean as well . and take pictures of every thing when its done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">