• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Housing question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ivy

What is the name of your state? NJ

My new employer will be paying for my housing (they gave me a monthly limit) during my first year of employment, which is something they have never done in the past. Does my new employer have the legal right to dictate where I must live, or can I decide where I want to live, even if it's an hour away from the office?

My family lives about 100 miles from my new job and I wanted to get an apartment at a halfway point between home and my new employer.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they are paying for it, of course they get to have a say, if not THE say, in where it is.

C

CheeseBlotto

If they gave you a mothly limit, I'm not sure why they would care to be concerened with the specifics, but the only law that applies here is the golden rule.

Country Living

The question is....

For me, it would depend on what kind of job you were hired to do. If you were my IT on-call person, I'd want you to be at work within 30 minutes of my call. Yes, I realize you can connect externally - I still want you to be able to be at work within 30 minutes of my call. This is especially true if you're on a disaster recovery team.

Two questions
What were you hired to do?
Is this subsidy simply because the rent is so high in the area or is it in lieu of pay?

Beth3

Does my new employer have the legal right to dictate where I must live, or can I decide where I want to live, even if it's an hour away from the office? Even if they weren't paying a housing subsidy, they can still dictate where you live.

If you don't care for the terms of the employment you're being offered, then don't accept the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">