• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOV Lane Violation - New Jersey Turnpike

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romchek1

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I got a ticket for a HOV lane violation on the NJ Turnpike. Trooper also said I was doing 85 in 65 which i doubt.....maybe 75. I don't think he had me on radar just his word, or I think he would have ticketed me for that also, he only gave me a warning on the speed

The Ticket:

The statute that was cited by the trooper was 19:9-1.24(o). This is the section of the NJ Trunpike road regulations and there is no section (o) In that section it refers to N.J.A.C. 19:9-1.3 which deals with failure to obey traffic signs or signals.

Questions:

1) Is there a case for dismissal as the decription of the violation "HOV" does not quite match the statute?

2) If not, can someone please provide some insights on HOV violations in NJ? Is this worth contesting?

The fact that it's a moving violation concerns me as that might impact insurance rates. I drive approx. 40,000 miles a year and the last time I got a ticket was probably over 12-14 years ago. Thats a long time with a lot of miles logged and I hate to have something on my record now.

seniorjudge

Questions:

1) Is there a case for dismissal as the decription of the violation "HOV" does not quite match the statute?

A: Ask for a trial. After the first witness for the government testifies, then ask for a dismissal with prejudice (jeopardy has attached).

Google these phrases.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You were (probably) charged with 19:9-1.24(a) The officer probably has sloppy writing. Can you get it dismissed because of that - worth a shot...but I doubt it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">