• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How are amounts of fines determined?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinWA1

What is the name of your state? Washington state

Hello, I have a contested ticket hearing in the next few days. The ticket is for "failure to initially register", and it's one of only 3 violations that cannot be mitigated or reduced - which is significant, because they fine $1122 for this!! I was researching about this and everywhere I have looked including RCW, said the fine is $529. If that's the case, how and why is the ticket written for $1122?! I then saw that the other violation, failure to wear safety belt,, is $124, my ticket says $150..what's with the different amounts, who decides this? Can the ticket be challenged or even dismissed due to this? I've had hardly any tickets in my life and I'm also new to the state (which is why I got this ticket, I still had my out of state plates at the time) so forgive my lack of knowledge on this! Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

PayrollHRGuy

There are all sorts of other cost such as court costs that go into the total. And no these fees aren't going to to get the ticket thrown out.

Where did you find the ticket costs that are different than what your ticket says?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">