• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How bad can it get? I should have knocked on wood.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txdakotagirl

Any advice on run around?

My girl and I were driving to work Monday 05/12. We took our exit and traveled northbound on service road.

The road is 3 lanes wide, and middle lane congested. I took an opening and moved to the right.Only to find a car yeilded about a 100 feet beyond the yeild sign.

I managed to stop, by the skin of my teeth. Unfortunately, another car merged into the lane behind me and slammed into the left side rear of my car. She had been traveling about 45 mph. The car in front of me took off as this unraveled and was not involved.

The driver admitted she had not been paying attention, and looked down at something. So here we are my car assumed totaled. The other driver on a suspended license, insurance in her "old man's" name. She is in a 01 Honda accord and I am in a 00 Pontiac Grand Am. Liabily vs liability insurance.

I was shaken up failed to get the insurance information. The cops who showed up on scene says not to worry about it. It will be on the police report in 1-2 days. Don't get me started there with the police. First report deleted in error so finally 14 days later here comes the report. She is at fault and ticketed for failure to maintain speed and driving without a license.

Just so I do not leave it out in those 14 days. Multiple trips to Er, Dr and urgent care. My girl ended up with sprained cervical spine, sprained rotary cuff and lumbar spine. I was your classic "whiplash" with concussion and still having daily headaches a month later. So visits, mri, cat scan and medicines 11k in medical bills.

Now here is the kicker, Statefarm can not "find" their client. She is not on the policy and neither driver or insured calling SF back. So since they are ignoring SF, the insurance company is telling me they will deny the claim. Then they had the nerve to tell me to follow up and claim uninsured motorist on my own insurance.

Does this make sense to anyone else? I know we have to cooperate, but dang this should not be an out for the insurance. Anyone have similar happen to them?

10 k medical
700 storage fee on grand am/tow yard
620 lost wages
150 rental car for 3 days to get to work

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My girl and I were driving to work Monday 05/12. We took our exit and traveled northbound on service road.

The road is 3 lanes wide, and middle lane congested. I took an opening and moved to the right.Only to find a car yeilded about a 100 feet beyond the yeild sign.

I managed to stop, by the skin of my teeth. Unfortunately, another car merged into the lane behind me and slammed into the left side rear of my car. She had been traveling about 45 mph. The car in front of me took off as this unraveled and was not involved.

The driver admitted she had not been paying attention, and looked down at something. So here we are my car assumed totaled. The other driver on a suspended license, insurance in her "old man's" name. She is in a 01 Honda accord and I am in a 00 Pontiac Grand Am. Liabily vs liability insurance.

I was shaken up failed to get the insurance information. The cops who showed up on scene says not to worry about it. It will be on the police report in 1-2 days. Don't get me started there with the police. First report deleted in error so finally 14 days later here comes the report. She is at fault and ticketed for failure to maintain speed and driving without a license.

Just so I do not leave it out in those 14 days. Multiple trips to Er, Dr and urgent care. My girl ended up with sprained cervical spine, sprained rotary cuff and lumbar spine. I was your classic "whiplash" with concussion and still having daily headaches a month later. So visits, mri, cat scan and medicines 11k in medical bills.

Now here is the kicker, Statefarm can not "find" their client. She is not on the policy and neither driver or insured calling SF back. So since they are ignoring SF, the insurance company is telling me they will deny the claim. Then they had the nerve to tell me to follow up and claim uninsured motorist on my own insurance.

Does this make sense to anyone else? I know we have to cooperate, but dang this should not be an out for the insurance. Anyone have similar happen to them?

10 k medical
700 storage fee on grand am/tow yard
620 lost wages
150 rental car for 3 days to get to work
Put it in to your insurance and they will go after the other insurance. This is not that difficult. Though you probably won't get the lost wages reimbursed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP most likely still has to inform HER insurance company however.
I don't see why. She is not going to be making any sort of claim on her insurance (assuming she has liability only.) I do hope the OP comes back to clarify what was meant by "Liability vs. liability insurance."

The OP will need to sue the other driver and the owner of the car directly. I'd bet that, once a lawsuit is filed, the other party's insurance company will be brought up to speed.

ecmst12

Don't expect to get much for your car. It wasn't worth much even before the accident. You and your passenger can consult a lawyer regarding your injuries; might be worth it. Hopefully they have more than minimum coverage.

txdakotagirl

I did not expect much from the car. Blue book is only about 2300. As of today still getting the run around by state farm. I have uninsured motorist was hoping to avoid drawing in my own insurance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I did not expect much from the car. Blue book is only about 2300. As of today still getting the run around by state farm. I have uninsured motorist was hoping to avoid drawing in my own insurance.
So the "Liability vs. liability" statement didn't really mean what it said, did it?

Use your insurance, that's what it's there for. They will go after the other driver/owner for you.

ecmst12

Uninsured motorist is not in play at this time, not unless/until you get a written declaration that there was no coverage for the accident.

davew128

Uninsured motorist is not in play at this time, not unless/until you get a written declaration that there was no coverage for the accident.
Well of the other driver had a suspended license and wasn't the owner of the vehicle (dad's), that isn't much of a stretch.

ecmst12

You'd be surprised. It might be covered. If it wasn't going to be covered, OP likely would have already gotten a denial of coverage letter.

txdakotagirl

So the "Liability vs. liability" statement didn't really mean what it said, did it?

Use your insurance, that's what it's there for. They will go after the other driver/owner for you.

Did not mean to be confusing she had liability as do I. I just pay extra for uninsured/underinsured.
No denial letter at this time.

OHRoadwarrior

Not to burst the rest of your bubble, soft tissue injuries are subjective and are rarely compensable much beyond the medical costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">