• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How badly will a short sale hurt my credit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsamberduh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Like many other people in this country, our mortgage is upside down. Since we bought the house, our economic situation has changed dramatically (I'm no longer employed because we have kids now and daycare costs would be more than I'd make working). We're up to date on payments for the time being. We've recently hired a real estate agent to list our house in an attempt to sell it. He told us that our house wouldn't appraise anywhere near what we need to sell it for, so the odds of us being able to sell it at the price we need to get are slim to none. It's definitely a starter home (only 2 bedrooms), so the person who buys it won't likely have a ton of money to put down on it and the appraisal is even more critical.

The realtors suggestion is to short sale the property and we're starting to consider it, but we have concerns about what kind of a hit our credit will take from that. I've googled the subject repeatedly, and it seems that there's no clear range anywhere, and most scenarios involve being late on payments, which we are not.

I'd also like to know if anyone has had experience purchasing a new home or land after doing a short-sale. If we do the short sale, we'll be moving to another state to be closer to family, and we'll be purchasing some land that's recently become available and building a house on it. With kids and a dog, renting an apartment would be difficult at best.

If we do the short sale, we'll be moving to another state to be closer to family, and we'll be purchasing some land that's recently become available and building a house on it. With kids and a dog, renting an apartment would be difficult at best.
Most likely, not with a loan you won't. :(

Short sales are usually given the same weight and status as a foreclosure when it comes to the credit hit and bank's opinion. Meaning, whatever future lender you try to use to secure a home loan, it will see the short sale and equate it to a foreclosure.

Your biggest issue, however, is that Massachusetts is a "recourse" state. Which means that the lender can come after you for any deficiency between the loan and the selling price.

FlyingRon

Your biggest issue, however, is that Massachusetts is a "recourse" state. Which means that the lender can come after you for any deficiency between the loan and the selling price.
Recourse only matters if it gets as far as a foreclosure.

Even in a non-recourse state they can make you agree to be responsible for the deficiency after the short sale.

The key point is that they won't even talk short sale if you're current on your mortgage, so you'll have to trash your credit rating to even get close to it.

justalayman

FlyingRon;2814184]Recourse only matters if it gets as far as a foreclosure.
maybe in Mass but not in all states. At least Michigan and I believe Illinois allow the creditor to seek the balance of the loan unless it is specifically forgiven. All the short sale does is the bank releases their security interest on the property (the mortgage). The loan stays intact and due to a due on sale clause in most mortgage loans, becomes due in full upon the sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">