• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How best to mitigate my damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Should I rent a car, or register and insure another vehicle I already own?

I was involved in an accident this morning that I'm pretty sure will be found to be the other driver's fault. She was taken by ambulance for a neck or back injury.

The police told me I could leave, and could pick up her information (insurance, license number) at the police station 'later', so I don't have her insurance company contact information yet.

My vehicle is drivable, but not roadworthy (sharp edges, steering issues).

I have a place I can keep it, but it must remain registered (and therefore insured) in order to keep it there.

The least expensive solution I can come up with is to register and insure another vehicle that I own, but is in storage. This will cost me $36 for the registration and under $5 per day for insurance.

The minivan will not fit where the other vehicle is stored, and would not be accesable for an adjuster.

If I do this, will her insurance company reimburse me for those expenses?

ecmst12

Keep your car registered and insured and park it where you normally do until you speak to the insurance company. If it's not safe to drive, feel free to rent a reasonably priced rental car and you can later submit receipts for reimbursement. The other person will in NO way ever be responsible for your registration of a vehicle not involved in the accident. And make sure you get the insurance info and file the claim as soon as possible.

b.momma

i doubt it.

since you did not get a police report right away, this leads me to believe the police gave the report to the other driver, with your info on it.

dont be so sure she'll be at fault. did she slam into you, from behind?

call your own company. rental coverage covers rentals at whatever per day. not registering and insureing another vehicle.

Mass_Shyster

Keep your car registered and insured and park it where you normally do until you speak to the insurance company. If it's not safe to drive, feel free to rent a reasonably priced rental car and you can later submit receipts for reimbursement. The other person will in NO way ever be responsible for your registration of a vehicle not involved in the accident. And make sure you get the insurance info and file the claim as soon as possible.
Thanks for the info. I went to the police station at lunchtime and was told the officer did not write it up yet, and to try back tomorrow.

I doubt I'll get a rental. With the van in its spot, I don't have space for another vehicle. The driveway is full with the kids' cars and my town does not allow overnight on-street parking. The kids are out of school, so I'll take one of their cars.

If I do end up renting something, is another minivan considered reasonable, or do I just get the skateboard with a windshield?

Mass_Shyster

since you did not get a police report right away, this leads me to believe the police gave the report to the other driver, with your info on it.

dont be so sure she'll be at fault. did she slam into you, from behind?

call your own company. rental coverage covers rentals at whatever per day. not registering and insureing another vehicle.
I don't have substitute transportation on my policy, so her insurance would pay for it, if she is found at fault.

I did call my insurance agent and she opened a claim because I told her my back was stiff. I expect it will be fine by next week. I feels like it does when I over-exerted it. The claims department called and It's on hold until I get back to them next week. Massachusetts is no-fault personal injury protection, so my insurance opened that claim.

The reason I think she'll be fount to be at fault is because she came out of a parking lot and crashed into the side of my vehicle. The damage to my vehicle is from above the front tire to above the rear tire. Her truck is damaged on the grill and bumper.

The officer seemed to recognize my vehicle and knew where I worked (it's a small town). He said to go to work and pick up the info later.

Last edited:

ecmst12

It depends on your state what will be considered reasonable, but if you have to rent something before you talk to the insurance company, definitely get the cheapest vehicle which will suit your needs - if you don't strictly NEED a van, don't get one.

Mass_Shyster

It depends on your state what will be considered reasonable, but if you have to rent something before you talk to the insurance company, definitely get the cheapest vehicle which will suit your needs - if you don't strictly NEED a van, don't get one.
Thanks again....

If I NEED to rent anything, it will be because I NEED a van. I can certainly get through the weekend without one. What really stinks is that after this summer, I won't need a van at all. I was planning to replace it in the fall.

ecmst12

Do you have collision coverage? If so, just file with them and get your repairs started right away.

Mass_Shyster

Do you have collision coverage? If so, just file with them and get your repairs started right away.
No collision. My guess is that it's totaled. KBB lists it as anywhere from $2000 to $4000, and it needs the doors and body panels on the right side, plus whatever's wrong with the front end. I find KBB's prices a little high anyway.

I once read that you shouldn't insure against a loss that will not change your lifestyle, and feel that works for me. The last time I paid for collision was before I paid off the loan on my brand new, 1987 Jeep (the vehicle I have in storage). Even if I don't collect, it's not a great loss, and would be the first one incurred in over 20 years.

I did collect on a collision claim once. I used the money as a down payment on the above Jeep.

Mass_Shyster

One more question:

If I were to win the lottery, what should I do with the money?

(If you recall last month, we were going back and forth about mitigating damages in a hypothetical accident - hence the new question)

ecmst12

Collision coverage only makes sense if the car is worth significantly more then you'd pay in premiums for a year, OR if you have a loan (or both).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">