• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I find out why I was put on DO NOT HIRE STATUS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slingshot david

I am in the state of Illinois.
I was working for a temporary employment agency that assigned me to a BIG corporation that I worked at for three months until the budget was cut and the contractors were let go. I received good recommendations from my supervisor and other I worked with. The agency placed me at another company after and I received good feedback from them also. When the last assignment was finished, I contacted my agency because I heard others I worked with at the BIG company were being called back. I was told they got negative feedback and they did not want to represent me anymore. I signed with another agency and reapplied to the BIG company. That agency was told I was put on a DO NOT HIRE status and I could never be hired by this company again in my lifetime. I am only 24 and just starting my career. I had to go to the labor board to have my original agency let me review my personnel records. My file contains no negative information. The BIG company I worked for will not release the information in my file. Therefore I cannot find out what information they have they is stopping me from working there. I am having a hard time getting another job because of this status on my employment record. My questions are: Is the company obligated to release this information to my employer, the agency? If this company was not considered my employer, is it legal for them to have a file on me? Can this company legally have negative information on me without allowing me to refute it? Am I entitled to have access to personal information on me being held by this company? Can an agency that I was not employed by give this BIG company negative information about me which would cause them to put me on a DO NOT HIRE status?
I have gotten conflicting information from the employees of the company and my former agency is not being cooperative. Since Illinois is an employment at will state, I am considering filing federal charges and having the BIG company considered a secondary employer because they supervised me in my job. Is it time to get a labor attorney and try to get this GIANT of a corporation? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">