• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can i get my money back??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kittikat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York

My husband and I hired a lawyer to file for his citizenship in April 2001(my husband had previously started the process but figured with the help of a lawyer things would speed up a little). We had deposited $417.00. Since then my husband became a citizen (03/2003) with no help from the lawyer. It even seemed as though he didn't even started anything on the case because he did not know my husband becan=me a citizen. We have not received any correspendence from him regarding the status of the case. Giving him enough time we visited him on 11/03 requesting a refund for the services which he did not render. He said he need a copy of the receipt because he doen't have the receipt book. :mad: I mailed him a copy of the receipt along with a letter (certified mail) 04/2004. Since then we called his office twice and he was unavailable. He has not corresponded with us. What is the next step we should take in order to receive our money?

N

NNC

Hopefully the bar association in your state has a process for filing complaints against attorneys. Call them to find out. I contacted them in my state for a similar situation and found out that there is something called a Fee Dispute Petition that you can file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">