• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I help my mom while my father is in bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Nebraska, and my parents are both in their early 60's. My father has fairly recently filed for a Chapter 13 and is currently making payments to that Chapter 13. My mom was not able to "join on" to any part of the bankruptcy, but due to their monetary troubles, has therefore been forced to let all of her fairly substantial credit card and student loan debt fall by the wayside. She has made no payments whatsoever on that debt so as not to run the risk of increasing what my father's payment would be towards his bankruptcy by showing the ability to make even minor payments on anything.

I was curious if there is a way I can help my mom to deal with her debt while my father is in his bankruptcy. She is receiving daily calls from creditors and has received her first summons. She is disabled and not able to work, nor could she now without possibly increasing my father's payments. Is there anything I can do to help her with this? Is there a way she could do a debt consolidation that I pay for? It would greatly relieve their stress if my mom was able to deal with her debt at the same time, but they are in a feeling of limbo right now that is obviously uncomfortable, and I am not sure what I can offer while still navigating and staying within the bounds mandated by the bankruptcy. Thank you for any and all help!

LdiJ

I live in Nebraska, and my parents are both in their early 60's. My father has fairly recently filed for a Chapter 13 and is currently making payments to that Chapter 13. My mom was not able to "join on" to any part of the bankruptcy, but due to their monetary troubles, has therefore been forced to let all of her fairly substantial credit card and student loan debt fall by the wayside. She has made no payments whatsoever on that debt so as not to run the risk of increasing what my father's payment would be towards his bankruptcy by showing the ability to make even minor payments on anything.

I was curious if there is a way I can help my mom to deal with her debt while my father is in his bankruptcy. She is receiving daily calls from creditors and has received her first summons. She is disabled and not able to work, nor could she now without possibly increasing my father's payments. Is there anything I can do to help her with this? Is there a way she could do a debt consolidation that I pay for? It would greatly relieve their stress if my mom was able to deal with her debt at the same time, but they are in a feeling of limbo right now that is obviously uncomfortable, and I am not sure what I can offer while still navigating and staying within the bounds mandated by the bankruptcy. Thank you for any and all help!
It may be that your mother needs to file for bankruptcy as well. Use the link that Quincy gave you to try to get her some help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">