• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I legally break a contract with a dishonest talent agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cstrong

I got a text a couple weeks ago from a talent agency in Utah called (company name removed) and it wasn’t until after they tricked me into signing a contract with them that I discovered one of my former roommates who also dealt with them had got scammed a large sum of money. I’ve read other reviews online and discovered that countless other people have got scammed.

What (company name removed) does is they promise these people high paying acting gigs and all they have to do is take this class from an “actor” named Xx who supposedly appeared in Star Wars. I found no sources on the Internet backing this up except for (AAA— company removed) who is partnered with (company name removed). I’ve heard from multiple sources including friends and roommates that have dealt with them is that they are never contacted with acting gigs as promised and are scammed $1200.

I only signed the contract a week ago and haven’t paid yet though I know they’ll be taking money out of my bank account starting next month as monthly payments going into the $1200. I need to know how I can go about breaking the contract before I am scammed that kind of money since I can’t afford to pay these payments and all my other expenses with as little of money as I make now that I know they’re not going to contact me with the acting gigs they promised me. I found an article on the Internet with a section that states that them making me sign up for Xx ‘s class was illegal on their part and they’re also in violation of their contracts with other talents by not contacting them about acting gigs.

I have been researching state laws regarding talent agencies and I discovered that though (company name removed) is licensed in Utah, they also have an office in Idaho and they’re not licensed in Idaho. I don’t know if businesses require a separate license in the state they’re branching into, but if so, this would be useful information for anyone else who could get contacted by (company name removed).

I did look up other information on what I could try as a way to make the contract null and void. The information on them not contacting me for acting gigs and them picking Aa being illegal acts are in this article here:

[URL link removed]

The article also states that they can’t pick the photographer and even though they did give me a list of photographers, they said that they’re the one’s who’ll pick for who will be the photographer off that list so they’re still picking the photographer.

Another piece of useful information is off of [website removed] and it’s about someone who got scammed by the Idaho branch and you’ll find in the comments that the Utah owner left a dishonest comment and accused the reviewer of competitive slander. Some of his statements were counteracted a few comments down. Definitely give this a read because most of the customer’s experiences that this owner denies happen are still happening and I’m one of their current victims.

[Link removed]

How should I go about terminating this contract legally before I am scammed $1200 to take an “acting class” from a fake actor who’s sources are only backed up by (company name removed) and its affiliates?

Just Blue

Your posting has personal info in it. It's been reported and when Admin does an edit will be returned for public showing.

quincy

I got a text a couple weeks ago from a talent agency in Utah called (company name removed) and it wasn’t until after they tricked me into signing a contract with them that I discovered one of my former roommates who also dealt with them had got scammed a large sum of money. I’ve read other reviews online and discovered that countless other people have got scammed.

What (company name removed) does is they promise these people high paying acting gigs and all they have to do is take this class from an “actor” named Xx who supposedly appeared in Star Wars. I found no sources on the Internet backing this up except for (AAA— company removed) who is partnered with (company name removed). I’ve heard from multiple sources including friends and roommates that have dealt with them is that they are never contacted with acting gigs as promised and are scammed $1200.

I only signed the contract a week ago and haven’t paid yet though I know they’ll be taking money out of my bank account starting next month as monthly payments going into the $1200. I need to know how I can go about breaking the contract before I am scammed that kind of money since I can’t afford to pay these payments and all my other expenses with as little of money as I make now that I know they’re not going to contact me with the acting gigs they promised me. I found an article on the Internet with a section that states that them making me sign up for Xx ‘s class was illegal on their part and they’re also in violation of their contracts with other talents by not contacting them about acting gigs.

I have been researching state laws regarding talent agencies and I discovered that though (company name removed) is licensed in Utah, they also have an office in Idaho and they’re not licensed in Idaho. I don’t know if businesses require a separate license in the state they’re branching into, but if so, this would be useful information for anyone else who could get contacted by (company name removed).

I did look up other information on what I could try as a way to make the contract null and void. The information on them not contacting me for acting gigs and them picking Aa being illegal acts are in this article here:

[URL link removed]

The article also states that they can’t pick the photographer and even though they did give me a list of photographers, they said that they’re the one’s who’ll pick for who will be the photographer off that list so they’re still picking the photographer.

Another piece of useful information is off of [website removed] and it’s about someone who got scammed by the Idaho branch and you’ll find in the comments that the Utah owner left a dishonest comment and accused the reviewer of competitive slander. Some of his statements were counteracted a few comments down. Definitely give this a read because most of the customer’s experiences that this owner denies happen are still happening and I’m one of their current victims.

[Link removed]

How should I go about terminating this contract legally before I am scammed $1200 to take an “acting class” from a fake actor who’s sources are only backed up by (company name removed) and its affiliates?
Quite frankly, your research into the talent agency should have been done PRIOR to signing the contract and providing the agency with your bank account information. You could now be legally bound to the terms of the contract and could be sued by the agency if you breach the contract terms.

I recommend you have the contract personally reviewed in its entirety by a lawyer local to you, to see if there is an inexpensive way to terminate the contract.

We cannot do personal reviews of contracts on this forum or analyze its terms.

Good luck.

Dandy Don

Contact your bank immediately and your credit card company and tell them what you know about this company and the bank will work with you to get the automatic payments stopped.

Additionally, complain to your state attorney general about this company and complain to the state attorney general of the state where the company is located.

Dandy Don

Contact your bank and your credit card company immediately to inform them that you want to stop the automatic payments.

Additionally, file a complaint with your state attorney general about this company and also file a complaint with the state attorney general of the state where the company is located.

quincy

Contact your bank and your credit card company immediately to inform them that you want to stop the automatic payments.

Additionally, file a complaint with your state attorney general about this company and also file a complaint with the state attorney general of the state where the company is located.
While it is not necessarily harmful to contact the state's consumer protection division (Attorney General), it might be wrong to assume the online reviews about the talent agency are right - unless you know the specific talent agency involved and have verified the agency's history.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

He can do all of the above, but that may not get him out of the contract, though. Because of yet, they've not breached the contract. As Quincy pointed out, the time for cstrong to research was BEFORE he signed the contract, not after. And since they've not breached the contract, what would their complaint to the AG be? That others have had problems?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">