• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I take custody of my youngest sibling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nikki2018

My mother has been a drug addict all of my life. My sister and I had a very troubled childhood. We were taken away from my mother several times in our life by CPS and sent to live with my grandmother whom ultimately gave us back to our mom every time. My grandmother was unstable as well. She verbally abused us and was always absent. I practically raised my other sister because my mom couldn’t do so even though I was a child myself. My mother had my youngest sibling(now 5 yrs old) and we thought she had changed. Unfortunately she is still doing drugs and now has been evicted and lives with a friend. (My youngest siblings father is addicted as well and is always out of work) she is my half sister. cps has been called on my mother for my youngest sibling once before but nothing came of it. I want to give my sister a better and more stable life. I know I could be a better parent to her than my mother and I don’t want my youngest sibling to have the same life as me and my other sister(we are both adults now). What requirements do I have to meet in order to take custody of her? I know it will be a long battle but I know this will be better for my youngest sister. I am in Texas. United States. Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

My mother has been a drug addict all of my life. My sister and I had a very troubled childhood. We were taken away from my mother several times in our life by CPS and sent to live with my grandmother whom ultimately gave us back to our mom every time. My grandmother was unstable as well. She verbally abused us and was always absent. I practically raised my other sister because my mom couldn’t do so even though I was a child myself. My mother had my youngest sibling(now 5 yrs old) and we thought she had changed. Unfortunately she is still doing drugs and now has been evicted and lives with a friend. (My youngest siblings father is addicted as well and is always out of work) she is my half sister. cps has been called on my mother for my youngest sibling once before but nothing came of it. I want to give my sister a better and more stable life. I know I could be a better parent to her than my mother and I don’t want my youngest sibling to have the same life as me and my other sister(we are both adults now). What requirements do I have to meet in order to take custody of her? I know it will be a long battle but I know this will be better for my youngest sister. Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, its not going to happen unless both the mother and the father of the child agree to give you custody, OR CPS determines that the child needs to be removed from the parents and chooses you for placement.

You did not state what state you are in or what states are involved, but odds are that you would not have standing to sue your mother and the father of your sister for custody.

Nikki2018

Unfortunately, its not going to happen unless both the mother and the father of the child agree to give you custody, OR CPS determines that the child needs to be removed from the parents and chooses you for placement.

You did not state what state you are in or what states are involved, but odds are that you would not have standing to sue your mother and the father of your sister for custody.
I’m in Texas, if CPS gets involved and determines my mother and her father unfit, how would I be chosen for placement? Would I get priority since I am her sibling?

LdiJ

I’m in Texas, if CPS gets involved and determines my mother and her father unfit, how would I be chosen for placement? Would I get priority since I am her sibling?
Not necessarily, basically all of her relatives would be candidates for placement. Grandparents, aunts, uncles and all siblings.

Just Blue

How old are you? Do you have a job? A home? How will you provide for the child?

Nikki2018

How old are you? Do you have a job? A home? How will you provide for the child?
I’m 23, I live in an apartment. I’ve had a stable job since 18 and I’m working as a paid intern. I have more than enough funds to support her and myself. Including daycare funds. I’m more than capable.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I’m 23, I live in an apartment. I’ve had a stable job since 18 and I’m working as a paid intern. I have more than enough funds to support her and myself. Including daycare funds. I’m more than capable.
How much do you make as a paid intern in that you could pay several hundred a month in daycare costs?

Nikki2018

How much do you make as a paid intern in that you could pay several hundred a month in daycare costs?
I make about 2000 a month as an intern and about the same as a server maybe closer to 1500 a month with my serving job. In total about 3,500 a month plus my fiancé’ Income. About 2000 a month. In total between the both of us we make about 5,500

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">