• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can u read a will online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Doubtful. Even if it has been filed with the court, there's no general public access to the documents. Your best bet would be to find the attorney who handled probate and see if they can send you a copy.

Mass_Shyster

I don't see any online portal, but you may be able to go to the probate court and see it there and/or get a copy. Once probate is open, the will is filed with the court. At that time, it becomes a public document. I do not know if Texas has any rules keeping those documents from public view. That would take more research than I'm willing to do on a Sunday morining

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state?texas my aunt passed in 2014 can i read her will
You probably cannot see the documents online. You'll have to go to the courthouse and have the file pulled to read it or it might be scanned on to the court's computers and can be read there that way.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Doubtful. Even if it has been filed with the court, there's no general public access to the documents. Your best bet would be to find the attorney who handled probate and see if they can send you a copy.
Wills, once lodged with the court, are indeed public records that the public may access. However, not a lot of courts provide ONLINE access for wills. The OP can contact the court where the probate took place (if there was any probate) and ask about options for reviewing or getting a copy of the will.

FlyingRon

Yep, but if he doesn't want to expend the shoe leather, my suggestion will work with an email or phone call.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Yep, but if he doesn't want to expend the shoe leather, my suggestion will work with an email or phone call.
A call to the court clerk might work, too, and has the benefit of confirming the will was actually lodged for probate and which will was lodged, if the decedent had done more than one in his/her lifetime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">