• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I allocate arrears payments for child and spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickski1986

I am receiving (or supposed to) $500 in child support and $500 in spousal support. The accounts are in arrears for about $10000 total. I receive garnished payments in the amount of about $1200 per month. How do I allocate the payments?

rickski1986

Colorado.
I have child/family services on this. They set up the garnishment.
My issue is how to deal with the payments for tax purposes?

LdiJ

I am receiving (or supposed to) $500 in child support and $500 in spousal support. The accounts are in arrears for about $10000 total. I receive garnished payments in the amount of about $1200 per month. How do I allocate the payments?
Well, the first 1000.00 should be treated as normal child support and spousal $500.00 towards each. That leaves a remainder of $200.00 going towards the arrears. I would suspect that your local CSE would be allocating that $200.00 first towards the child support arrears, so I would do the same for tax purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">