• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I beat these tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sager1982

I was stopped on a motorcycle for speeding (80 in a 55),officer gets my info while making small talk,asks when my last ticket was.I tell him about 18 years ago,he seemed surprised and said I'll tell you what,if that's the case then I will let you go with a warning and goes to his car.When he returns he begins asking about some name that I didn't know that the tag came back to,and that the tag came back to a different bike and expired in 2012,I explained that I recently purchased the bike and the guy put the wrong vin on the bill of sale and I was having some issues with getting it registered and that tag was already on it. he also that I had recently been arrested and awaiting a grand juries decision,after asking me about that situation he asked if he could search my bike,I declined and he said that was fine and to sit tight and he'd be back with me.He returned with 3 citations, speeding/switched tag/failure to register;at this point I will to inform you of some of the facts,the tag number on the tickets isn't correct,the last digit is one number off.also he used the bike from the incorrect tag number for the description on all three citations,while noting the actual 'make' of my bike at the bottom of one(switched tag) ticket),that bring said,I must mention that the actual tag was expired (since 2010) and I had not registered the bike,but do have bill of sale showing the purchase within 14 days prior.(I will also mention I have since returned the bike and got my money back due to,on top of this,he never produced the title,so I never did register it in my name).He gave me the speeding ticket last(I mentioned what he had told me earlier and he said 'well,sometimes it's beneficial to cooperate with the police' (I would assume referring to my refusal to a search),I was wondering if the fact that the bike that is described on the citation, accused of going 80mph has a top speed of 76mph would be a valid argument?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In what state did this happen? That's important because the rules and practices for contesting a traffic ticket vary a lot from state to state.

FlyingRon

I'm still trying to understand the details here.

Was your bike legally registered to you and that tag is the one assigned to that registration?

The officer is free to change his mind about warnings after running background checks on you. Clerical errors on tickets are by and large meaningless when it comes to defense.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP wants to claim that the bike that was on the ticket just isn't capable of going 80 mph. Of course, the OP also wants to use as part of his defense that fact that the bike listed on the ticket wasn't the bike he was driving. The OP can't see the problem with either of those, or both of those.

"the guy put the wrong vin on the bill of sale and I was having some issues with getting it registered"
Did you explain to the DMV why the VIN# on the title didn't match the VIN# on the bill of sale.
I'm assuming that all the other details matched on the title and bill of sale, such as make, model, color and number of cylinders.

Sager1982

"the guy put the wrong vin on the bill of sale and I was having some issues with getting it registered"
Did you explain to the DMV why the VIN# on the title didn't match the VIN# on the bill of sale.
I'm assuming that all the other details matched on the title and bill of sale, such as make, model, color and number of cylinders.
I never got the title,,can't find the guy,nor is the title even in his name..

Sager1982

Don't tell cops you've got spotless record when you are about to get indicted by a grand jury.

Don't right bikes you are having trouble getting titled/registered.
He asked how long since I've had a ticket, which has been 18 yrs.,, and once/if I go to court my criminal record will be just as clean as my driving.

Don't reply to questions you don't have an answer to.

Sager1982

I actually never received the title,I got it from a car lot, bill of sale is on company letterhead.I just trusted him,now he and the car lot is gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">